15 45.45%
  • Vector AK V 47

11 33.33%
  • Other UnderFolder (Please comment)

4 12.12%

Thread: Help me pick an underfolder.

Feedback Score

Help me pick an underfolder.

OK, I've passed up AKs for a long time by focusing on other rifles that I would enjoy having, and with the price of ammo being what it is, the attractiveness of the AK is starting to eat away at my reluctance.

This rifle will be a fun gun. Something to go blast away with and will most likely never see a training class. Well, unless by some freak of nature Larry Vickers offers a training class in Idaho. So, being that it will be a fun gun, I want to get the not so practical "underfolder". I've fired them a few times, and some buds have a few nice side folders, but I'm convinced I want the evil looking underfolder.

Having said that, I've found three choices in my price range:

1. Hungarian AMMS $689

2. Polish AK $679

3. Vector AK V 47 $669

I'm new to the AKs, other than firing a few owned by friends, and would appreciate any input on which is the best path to take. I do have a strong preference to a folder that locks straight back, and doesn't slant down.

Thanks.
    “Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity,” George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Tough call.

You're doing well looking at what Atlantic is offering, Blaine is definitely good to go and if your rifle has any issues, he'll take care of it even if the manufacturer won't, which is one reason he's carefull about the people he has as suppliers.

The Hungarian:

Bear in mind that these are built from rifles that were issued, so sometimes the handguards and pistol grip will show wear and tear, but most of these kits had like new internals.....carried alot and almost never shot. Will @ Redjacket does excellent work, and I would have no problems buying something that he built.

The Polish:

Most of these kits were from damn near unissued rifles, and they build up well. Either of the receivers that they are listing are good ones. I haven't seen any Lancaster builds personally but I've heard decent things about their builds.

The Vector:

Current Vector builds are mix-masters of parts. I have an underfolder from them built using a Polish PKMS underfolder parts kit that was one of the last that the Poles built, and I love it. Current builds that I've seen may or may not have a US made non-chrome lined barrel. A lot of them that do have chrome lined barrels are using older Bulgarian or Polish milled AK-47 barrels and gas assemblies with stamped AKM receivers, so they are a lot like the Chinese rifles (that's not a bad thing, just not "authentic").

If you're looking for a representative of an authentic issued rifle, I'd look really hard at the Hungarian from Red Jacket.

All three are going to be excellent choices, and the Hungarians, Poles, and Bulgarians all made outstanding rifles, so the parts from these are very high quality.

My Vector underfolder with a US shiny plum grip from K-VAR:

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a Yugo underfolder and I cannot imagine how it could get any better than this

And they are $429 from aimsurplus

Feedback Score
    I just had a Polish U/F built - $275 kit, $100 receiver, $50 922 parts, $150 build - $575 total... Very nice kit and I was hitting about 75% of my shots at 200 yards on steel with it.

Spooky

Feedback Score
    I am not an AK guy, and have exactly zero experience with the three types of AK's you are seeking input on. That being said, my good friend just bought a Yugo under folder from AIM like the one Obiwan is referring to. I was VERY impressed by its quality and workmanship. For the price, I am tempted to buy one for myself. Although I must add that I felt the buttstock was uncomfortable and awkward. I think I would prefer the fixed stock.
    "If I must choose between peace and righteousness, I choose righteousness" - Theodore Roosevelt

Feedback Score
    Another vote for Yugo underfolders. I got used to mine by pulling the stock securely into my sholder so it wouldn't wobble. It'll hit stuff as well as any AK, it works perfectly, and it's only up for sale because there's only so much training time in the day and I need to concentrate on the AR in the trunk of the patrol car.
    When life gives you lemons, insert copper and zinc wires in them and repeatedly shock your tongue.