Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dillon RL 550B ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    The claim is, if I understand it correctly, that "over tumbling" will clean off too much powder residue or otherwise make it too-clean, enhancing the metal to metal contact of the case and the powder funnel, leading to sticking. That residual powder residue acts as a sort of dry lubricant between the two metal surfaces of case and powder funnel belling end.

At least, that is what it sounds like to me the claim is.

---
    You nailed it, that is the issue.

Will run ur test tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    I know what he is talking about. However, if set up correctly, it should NEVER make it hard to move the handle down due to the neck part of the powder funnel for handguns because you should not be sticking it in the case more than a little bit to just put a little flare on so the metal-to-metal contact should be very very little and not cause any perceptible stickiness.
    --
    I do not necessarily agree with this statement. If loading FMJs with minimal flare required yes... However I load primarily moly coated lead where a much more generous flare I find is required (to prevent moly/lead shaving when seating) and do come across the issue once in a while with different batches of cleaned brass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I encounter the same issue but never think anything of it.
    For sure it's happening on the powder die.

For me though it doesn't happen on all brass, only some here and there but I never take the time to stop and see exactly what type of brass is doing it.

I've been attributing it to differences in case length.
    Unless you're trimming all your pistol brass I'm thinking that the small variances in case length could be the problem that causes the funnel to stick. Slightly longer cases get a little bit more bell than the rest and stick to that funnel just enough to notice when bringing the ram back down.

That's my theory.

Feedback Score
    Polishing the belling portion of the powder die AND a spritz of Hornady One Shot on the cases and it'll go smooth as a you know what. I also load coated lead bullets and only use a minimal bell on the case mouth.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Polishing the belling portion of the powder die AND a spritz of Hornady One Shot on the cases and it'll go smooth as a you know what. I also load coated lead bullets and only use a minimal bell on the case mouth.
    When loading coated bullets minimal is a relative term in comparison to what minimal is for FMJ?
    I agree that polishing the bell and using HOS make a difference, I do the same.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123