Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .223-5.56 going obselete?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Easily the dumbest thing I've heard in recent memory. I think we would all agree that there are some promising alternatives out there for the AR platform, but 5.56 x 45mm remains the standard military cartidge of the free world, and anyone who might suggest that it is about to meet a near-term demise is merely broadcasting their ignorance. Laughably so.

Chief

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's like the 9mm cartridge - not the best, but adequate w/ a trade in weight and magazine capacity. It will be around for a long time, especially as we are expoting our rifles to our "allies". I don't think the new calibers are going to go anywhere - I remember when the .41 Action Express was going to make everything obsolete.
    Don't forget to show my head to the people. It's well worth seeing.
    -Georges Danton

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker5 View Post
    I remember when the .41 Action Express was going to make everything obsolete.
    Or the 10mm in the early 90s?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by white spainard View Post
    Hi everyone I went shooting today and there were a couple of other people shooting AR style rifles, the person next to me had a 6.8MM and another upper in 6.5grendel, and another person had a AR10 . We got to talking and they wanted to know why I am still shooting .223 when it will be obselete in a couple of months its all going to the middle east, that is the reason they switched calibers, .223-5.56 is not going away anytime soon is it?
    No.

I would also suggest not shooting at the same range again as it will make you dumber.

C4

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12131 View Post
    You didn't actually believe them, did you?
    NO! I sure didn't, I just let them rant how the .223/5.56 is such a werk round.
    The one porson with the AR-10 had a relative in Iraq and that person told him to ditch the .223 cause it aint worth a crap supposedly the person in Iraq shot an insurgent 6-10 times and that person ran away unharmed.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The one person with the AR-10 had a relative in Iraq and that person told him to ditch the .223 cause it aint worth a crap supposedly the person in Iraq shot an insurgent 6-10 times and that person ran away unharmed.
    Actually, we had a name for that phenomenon when I was in Iraq: poor shot placement.

Put 6-10 rounds of 5.56x45 center of mass on any evildoer, and they will cease functioning on a reassuringly swift and permanent basis.

Just for the record, 6-10 near misses from an AR-10 won't stop anyone in their tracks, either.

Chief

ToddG Guest
    But "even a near miss by a .45 ACP will drop someone."

Quote courtesy an FBI SWAT team member. YJCMTSU.

Feedback Score

.223/5.56

Quote Originally Posted by white spainard View Post
    Hi everyone I went shooting today and there were a couple of other people shooting AR style rifles, the person next to me had a 6.8MM and another upper in 6.5grendel, and another person had a AR10 . We got to talking and they wanted to know why I am still shooting .223 when it will be obselete in a couple of months its all going to the middle east, that is the reason they switched calibers, .223-5.56 is not going away anytime soon is it?
    If they are going away, not everybody knows about it. I bought mine the other day and the dealer said he was selling them as soon as he got them in.

Feedback Score
    Wanna buy a bridge?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    No.

I would also suggest not shooting at the same range again as it will make you dumber.

C4
    Yes, Stupidity is very contagious, beware!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast