Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive scope for hunting

Feedback Score
    The Redfield Revolution 3x9 can be had for a good price if you catch it on sale. I got mine for $169 from Gander on sale. The Accu-Range reticle is nice because it provides relativity fast acquisition while still proving hold over points. The glass is a bit dimmer than other optics in the over $250 range but I couldn't tell until I had them side by side at the range.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/565...-reticle-matte

Feedback Score
    Sightron. Make sure it is Japanese mfg'd. Of all I have looked through they look good. I have not had one long enough to talk durability but others have said they are good.

Feedback Score
    I know I'll catch hell for this but:

Walmart has a nice tasco 3-9x50 for about 50 bucks. I stuck one on my backup rifle (rem 770, might as well stay cheap... my main rig wears a high end optic on a high end rifle but my backup gun is liable to be used by inexperienced hunters so I didn't spend much on it) and it's held well against 50 round sessions of 7mm Rem mag recoil. It does not shoot the box exceedingly well but it's a decent serviceable hunting scope on the cheap. Glass clarity was really good at low power and didn't fuzz the edges on 9x. Adjustments seemed to be accurate and as repeatable as I needed. The gun is a 1" shooter (which I consider to be poor accuracy) so it's hard to tell if 1/4" adjustment had any effect.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Konus, have on on my 308, works well and has performed great. Did a lot of review searching before purchase and its been a good piece of glass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Redfield and Nikon are my go to, inexpensive scope. They are cheap. They work. Not a million yard gun or a go to war scope, but it will kill deer while it is legal to hunt.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm all for American made glass, but for value I tend to get older Japanese made Nikon, Bushnell (B&L only), Weaver or Redfield on Ebay - they are an excellent value if they haven't been abused and almost always under $200. Here is a good Nikon for $150 - you won't get near that quality in a new Leupold in the same price range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-2-7x34...item27c9d15878

and a cheaper B&L Japanese Bushnell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I ended up finding a new in box Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 for a good price and picked that up. Now I just need some rings as the Weavers that came on the rifle are spaced to far apart to mount the Nikon.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Burris Signature rings with the inserts work well for hunting applications.
    Edit: as well as some Warn bases.
    Last edited by MILSHOOTER; 08-26-12 at 16:16. Reason: more w

Feedback Score
    I would spend a couple dollars extra and get the Primary Arms 4-14x44 Mil Mil scope with FFP. This will give you the benefit of Mil Mil turrets for the longer range shots, as well as a First Focal Plane scope. It has a lot of the features of a more expensive scope, but is only $229, and has pretty good customer reviews. Just my .02

ETA : here is the link https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...pa4-14xffp.htm
    Last edited by B Cart; 08-26-12 at 16:32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Find a used Leupold Vari-X 3-9 variable. Leupold's lifetime warranty is superb. They'll check it out and rebuild it for almost nothing.

Okie John
    In 1961 my dad bought a 300 Weatherby rifle and a Leupold scope . In 1995 I took the rifle out to shoot it and noticed the coating on the lens was peeling. I called Leupold and told them the problem and I didn't have a receipt, the rep said lifetime warranty. I sent the scope in and within 2 weeks the scope was back on the rifle. that is the reason I buy Leupold. Buy once cry once, it works.
    Last edited by SteveS; 08-26-12 at 20:00.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast