Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long between shots?

Feedback Score

How long between shots?

I'm still working on a load/bullet combo for my Colt 6920 and I have another group ready to try. Is 1 minute between shots good enough or should I wait 2, 3, or even more? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Wow. I usually just try to get the barrel warm with 5-10 "fouling" shots, and then keep up a consistent rate of fire, so it stays warm.

I don't wait longer between shots than I need to settle back in, take a deep breath, and let it halfway out...

Of course, I'm not a very good shot, either!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    I'm still working on a load/bullet combo for my Colt 6920 and I have another group ready to try. Is 1 minute between shots good enough or should I wait 2, 3, or even more? Thanks.
    Do you intend to wait one minute between shots in every situation that you shoots those loads? If you do then yes wait, if not a consistent reasonable rate of firing to sight your target, breath and squeeze off 5 shots is all that is needed IMHO. I rest the barrel 5-10 in between strings.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. Actually I'm just trying to find out what my AR likes the best when following the one shot, one kill method. If I miss a yote then I'll throw a few followups at 'em but I'd like to hit it the first time. I'm really not into fouling shots as well since I always go out with a cold barrel. Maybe I'm doing things all wrong.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    Thanks for the info. Actually I'm just trying to find out what my AR likes the best when following the one shot, one kill method. If I miss a yote then I'll throw a few followups at 'em but I'd like to hit it the first time. I'm really not into fouling shots as well since I always go out with a cold barrel. Maybe I'm doing things all wrong.
    COLD bore and CLEAN bore are two totally different things.

I don't have a terrible amount of experience doing this, but common sense tells me that if working up a load and testing accuracy, you will have more consistency (read: accuracy) by staying on the gun and firing your 5 shot group as one string of fire. As was said, just give some time (a consistent amount of time) between strings instead of between shots.

I would take the bet that the best group you get with a barrel shooting a consecutive 5-shot string, will be the best, accurate load for your COLD bore shot.

Aside from that, just keep good data and know where your rifle will shoot with a cold bore vs warm/hot bore. (And that's a whole 'nother debate in and of itself)...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP are trying to manage barrel temp or powder temp? What powder are you using? Some powders are more temp sensitive than others.
    EXP: Say if you were using a hot H335 load you worked up on ave temp day, then used said hot load on a hot day, and then ran gun hot from rapid fire that could be very bad. Add in bullet setback from not crimpping (or making sure neck tension is sufficient) and your setting self up for upset.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 07-12-12 at 16:45.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    I'm using IMR-8208-XBR for both .204 Ruger and .223 Remington. I don't hunt coyotes from October 1st to January 1st unless I have the deer I wanted. The 8208 isn't suppose to be temp sensitive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
    Do you intend to wait one minute between shots in every situation that you shoots those loads? If you do then yes wait, if not a consistent reasonable rate of firing to sight your target, breath and squeeze off 5 shots is all that is needed IMHO. I rest the barrel 5-10 in between strings.
    So if an intruder breaks breaks into your house, do you ask them to let you shoot a few fouling shots first?

All of the firearms I use for hunting - deer, chucks, coyotes - my first shot is with a cold barrel. I'm not about to shoot fouling shots everytime I go out. I'll just live with the results the way I shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you're chasing your tail. You're 6920 is a quality gun, but not a precision one.

Have you assessed your cold bore, clean bore, and continuing fire/hot bore POI deviations to see if they are even of note, especially given the gun?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I'm with skin on this one.
    A 6920 is a solid 2 MOA gun with decent ammo (or slightly better), which is not really a candidate for such extreme precision protocol.
    If you were working up a precision load for a 1/2 MOA gun, by all means, take it as slow as you want, but with what you are working with, the juice just ain't worth the squeeze.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast