Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M-4 reloading powder options?

Feedback Score

M-4 reloading powder options?

Hey I'm new to the forum, but have a question about reloading for an M-4.

Since it's a gas gun, I am curious if there is a "sweet spot" as far as the powder burn rate when looking for a powder to reload with? I have seen some info here and there about reloading for the AR-15, but figured the shorter M-4 may change the type and amount of powder used since the barrel is shorter.

The reason I ask, is I have shot some store bought ammo and I'm having a problem with ejection. The casings are stuck in the chamber, and the extractor has ripped a chunk out of the rim of the casing. I'm thinking it might have to do with chamber pressure at the time of extraction is causing the problem.

Thanks for any help!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Store bought, factory new ammo (brand) or re-manufactured?

Feedback Score
    The ammo I shot before was some cheapy stuff I found at a gun show a while back. That may have had as much to do with it as anything.

I'm just looking to load up some ammo and wondering where the breaking point is for powder being too fast, or too slow for an M-4 gas system. I assume for a short barrel, it would tend to need a bit faster burn rate.

Feedback Score
    Select powder based on bullet weight. Slower powders for 75/77 loads (RE-15, Varget, TAC) and quicker powders for 55 loads (H335, 2230, TAC). TAC may not be the ideal, but it's pretty versatile and covers the spectrum nicely.

If you shoot heavy loads and you find reliability issues, you may need to back off a bit and/or switch to a slightly quicker powder and give up some velocity.

More than the bbl length, you'll find you'll need to match your powder/load to your gas system length. The fact that you are sticking cases and ripping rims makes me wonder if you are overgassed in which case you'll need to back off a bit.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info.

I am wanting to use some 52gr bullets to hunt with. I have some Benchmark, H322, and IMR3031 and see what happens. I was just curious what the breaking points were as far as what is too fast, and what is too slow as far as burn rates for what I'm going to be shooting?

It's an M-4 so the length of the gas system is pretty short.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Billy Ray,
    You may also have an out of spec chamber.

Who made the barrel?
    Is this a kit gun or a custom build?
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    It was sort of a custom build I suppose. A buddy of mine helped me order everything off the internet quite a few years ago. Can't even remember the site I ordered the upper from. Right after I bought it I went to shoot it with that cheapy ammo I bought at the gun show and within a few rounds the extractor was ripping the rims of cases and the brass sticking in the chamber. Sadly I kept putting off looking to fix it until recently.

Is the manufacturer usually marked on an upper that I can find on it? Are out of spec chambers something that happens from time to time?

I had a gunsmith look at the chamber not long ago. I had read elsewhere that my problem could happen if the chamber was rough and unfinished. He checked it out and said it looked fine. He did remove the extractor and put a small oring with the spring and said that extractor problems have been known to cause this problem.

I am loading up some ammo tonight and heading to the range in the morning to see if either that fixes it, or some ammo with proper powder does the trick.
    Last edited by BillyRay; 08-02-12 at 17:40.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My bet is tight chamber.

You can either get it gauged and reamed.
    Or buy a new barrel and mount it on your existing upper.

I would get it gauged for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    Okay thanks for the info man!!!

If things don't go well at the range in the morning, the gunsmith we use is on the way home and I will be paying him another visit. I'll ask him to gauge the chamber and see if it's out of spec like you mention.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Okay thanks for the info man!!!

If things don't go well at the range in the morning, the gunsmith we use is on the way home and I will be paying him another visit. I'll ask him to gauge the chamber and see if it's out of spec like you mention.
    Ideally it will be a 5.56 chamber or at least something like 223 wylde

Tell the gunsmith that is what you are interested in. Not whether it is "in spec" but if it is "in spec" for a true 556 chamber.

-
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast