Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Case Trimmer !

Feedback Score
    I spent the money on the Giraud and love it. No looking back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R600 View Post
    I spent the money on the Giraud and love it. No looking back.
    I finally bit the bullet and have the Giraud on order. The Dillon works fine for 5.56/.223, but when I finally started on my huge pile of 7.62x51 brass, not so much. It significantly under-sizes the neck on 7.62/.308 (not to mention the lack of chamfering) . I figure the Giraud will be one of those once-in-a-lifetime purchases.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    You guys are correct about the Giraud,,it is and should be a Once in a lifetime purchase & as AWESOME as it seems to be & as many great reviews I have heard about it,,,it just hard for me to spend over $500 bucks for a trimmer & multiple caliber change dies/collets !!!! I would dare say if I tried one,,I would be selling my right nut to get one,,but until I do,,this little gem looks to be the hot setup !!! Even buying 2 of them for 2 different calibers would be less $$$ that the Giraud,,,Dillon,,etc !!! The Dillon is great cuz your sizing the brass and trimming in one step,,but it sounds like you have to deburr with the Dillon,,,so you still have that "extra" step in there !! One the other hand,,I have one buddy that plans to get the Dillon Setup in the next month or so & I have another friend that has already ordered this trimmer after I sent him the Link,,so it looks like I'll have a first hand try at both of them !!!! Time will tell !! I'll report back once I give them both a shot !!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    but it sounds like you have to deburr with the Dillon,,,so you still have that "extra" step in there !!
    Other people have other experiences, but in most cases, no, you don't.

-
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist~ View Post
    . It significantly under-sizes the neck on 7.62/.308 (not to mention the lack of chamfering)
    We've probably talked about this before, but are you doing anything to expand the neck back out? Dillon says that you need to do that after sizing/trimming.

One person I sold a Dillon setup to for 308 was told by his mentor, who I understand is an accomplished high power shooter and is on this forum, to use a Lyman M Die to slightly expand the neck back out.

I modified that for my 556/223 but have not personally sized and trimmed 308. I only have one 308 rifle, which gets shot not very often, so have not yet had the need.

--
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special

Feedback Score
    The M die would be one way, but for the initial 7.62 batch I processed, I just ran them through a conventional die with the expander ball. Short term solution.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist~ View Post
    The M die would be one way, but for the initial 7.62 batch I processed, I just ran them through a conventional die with the expander ball. Short term solution.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah, that was what Dillon recommends, with the die turned out to not contact the case itself.

As you said, short term solution. The expander ball supposedly works the brass a lot more than does the M-die.

When you get your Giraud, an extensive review is in order

--

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had a Giraud which I sold. I didn't like the way it chamfered the case mouths and the "extra step".

The setup I use now works perfectly for me and produces very uniform cases. I have an RCBS 2000 press setup as follows:
    Station one has a Dillon decap die.
    Station two is empty.
    Station three (the one built into the press body) has the Dillon Trimmer.
    Station four is empty.
    Station five has a Sinclair carbide -.002 expander mandrel. This is the one they sell for case neck turning. They also have a tool steel version that is considerably cheaper.

I usually reload on my Dillon 1050. The first station has a Lyman neck expander. This takes care of inside chamfer. The last station has either a Redding taper crimp die or a Lee Factory crimp die. Adding a modest crimp takes care of the outside chamfer issue.

If I had to use no crimp then I would lightly chamfer the outside of the case mouth.
    Last edited by DBR; 07-14-12 at 21:30.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    Other people have other experiences, but in most cases, no, you don't.

-
    Thanks for the info Chadbag !! But it looks like there "still" is some dickin around with the Dillon,,even as good as it is !!! Hell it looks like everything has its high & low points,,LOL !!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Thanks for the info Chadbag !! But it looks like there "still" is some dickin around with the Dillon,,even as good as it is !!! Hell it looks like everything has its high & low points,,LOL !!!
    As Chadbag stated very few people I know see a need to deburr with a Dillon. I simply tumble off the lube in a dry corncob after sizing and trimming. Clean cuts come easier when you watch you timing and use even consistent pressure when cycling the handle. I do slightly chamfer with a Hornady case prep mate when loading flat base bullets for my bolt gun, but still never see a need to deburr.
    I personally feel the RT1200B to be the best reloading investment I have made to date other than my actual press.
    Use a fresh side to the cutter blade ever 1000 -1200 rounds will keep the motor from being overloaded and give the best cuts. The Dillon ones are expensive at $17 each, but I have found a supplier through research that I got them for $5 each. You need to buy 10 at a time but I split order with a buddy. Each blade does up to 4000 cuts. http://www.carbidedepot.com/detail.aspx?ID=28289 I would also recommend drilling holes in your vacuum shroud to increase airflow for cooling and chip extraction.
    Last edited by Boxerglocker; 07-15-12 at 00:36.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast