Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: advice on daughter's escape & evasion preps

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

advice on daughter's escape & evasion preps

My adult daughter (24) is about to begin a one year+ stint as a Christian Missionary in Southern China. She has lived in Chinese provinces before, this is her first long assignment.

I am sending some basics to help her and her team leave in the event things were to get bad quick and she cant take a flight home. I dont expect it, just want to be able to provide options if they need to leave country on a land route south or southwest.

I would like your thoughts on other benign items she could take. my skills are limited to basic survival classes and living in field, never been through SERE or know anyone that has SF experience.

Obviously it is totalitarian country so she is limited on what she can have She and her small team are in excellent physical shape, they jog several miles a day. She has a good head in a crisis, can develop solutions and has the fundamentals of terrestrial navigation. She can read,write,speak Mandarin and is fluent in other languages. She has first aid certification and promised me she would complete a basic self defense class prior to leaving, she selected a Krav Maga class that I know nothing about.

Our plan would be to reach the border with India or Vietnam as primary route, Laos as a secondary, Myanmar as last choice. I wont share specifics on the internet but we do have rally points selected.

Prep items she is taking
    1. Compass and general area map
    2. Energy bars vacuum sealed
    3. Water Purification straw.
    4. She will get a cigarette lighter there
    5. 14K Gold necklace with some 1/10 oz gold coins as charms to procure food, transportation, etc.

thanks for advice in advance from a dad who loves his daughter.
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 07-13-12 at 13:57.

Feedback Score
    Post removed
    Last edited by K.L. Davis; 07-13-12 at 17:23. Reason: Stupid and Inflammatory

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post
    Post removed
    Dude, that's just wrong to say to a father.

I have no idea whether she'd be allowed this in China or not, but printouts from Google Earth of the E&E routes would be very handy. Not only will it gove terrain features to use or avoid, but population center info as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Really this is Not TOS show some class That's His Daughter

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My friends that escaped from Vietnam said the two most valuable things were gold and a very good friend or relative you can trust to arrange for transport. After that you have to have your owns means for survival and face the risk of pirates/bandits. Whenever there are refugees there will bandits trying to intercept the main flow.

Boat owners would only accept 1 oz of gold per person for a boat position. They often oversold their boat capacity. If you did not absolutely know the boat owner or arranger, they often absconded with the prepaid gold bar. Once you start asking around for transport, you must stay on the move so you do not get turned in to the police. Boats were often less than promised. The government will try to intercept refugees, and aft that the bandits will swoop in. Same principles apply whether by boat, truck, or whatever.

If they have their own means of transport ahead of time they are light years ahead of other evacuees. Car, truck, motor scooter, bicycle, boat.

It is incredibly dangerous to try to evacuate from a third world country with dictatorial powers. Best bet is to evacuate early, before the horde. If they wait too long the dangers from govt and bandits go up dramatically. Once they start off they are on their own: no protection, no recourse to law, no resupply. If they can start early enough in a crisis they may be able to travel within the law, or close enough to be able to buy supplies and help openly.
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 07-13-12 at 17:33.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Good knives, backed by training.
    I don't just mean "fighting".
    Good knives save lives.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Good knives, backed by training.
    I don't just mean "fighting".
    Good knives save lives.

This. I don't know how big a knife she can bring in but an ESEE Izula worn on the neck with a firesteel and chunk of diamond hone will be darn handy for her to have on her at all times.

ESEE also makes small last ditch ceramic knife blades (think razor knife) that she and her team can stitch in clothing or belts.

A couple of companies also make small plastic buckles for "survival" bracelets that have removable plastic handcuff keys on them if she's really worried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Oh, and a good multitool.
    I've used mine for everything.

And a good high intensity/robust pocket flashlight. I personally like having two levels odd illum, but the general ability to push a lot of light while serving as a striking tool is really what the base concept is.

Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Fitting in.

She needs to buy a set of local clothes when she gets there. Shoes, shirt, hat, pants, backpack...everything. Blending in with a crowd could save her life.

I used to live in Zambia and would go across the border into DRC regularly. I always carried a set of local clothes and black and brown shoe polish. I knew the shoe polish disguise wouldn't stand up under close scrutiny, but my white skin would give me away from a distance for sure.

Feedback Score
    +1 on the knife. I would go with a Seychelle Advanced water straw. They kill all the nasties in the water and filter up to 25 gallons. I would get her a fire steel as back up.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast