Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: advice on daughter's escape & evasion preps

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To stay low profile it might be good to develop some missionary work that involves tools useful for other purposes. Maybe some carpentry? Site surveying? Medical? Local transport fir food? Agricultural assistance?

Having medical kits, gps, machetes, cargo truck or even motor bikes would be handy for evacuation yet be useful tools for land clearing, village aid etc.

If they go strictly as preachers and teachers there is not much reason to have a bunch if "tools".
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    The Lonely Planet guides can often contain some good information.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/

I would also have her study up with a pair of good books, "Where There Is No Doctor" and "Where There Is No Dentist". You can find the PDF's online for free.

I will also strongly second the advice about US Embassy's and Consulates. It is a very, very good idea to check in with them, let them know where they are and will be, and follow their advice. If the staffers there know about something that could affect travelors, they will usually try to offer advice.

"Stay away from XYZ Square today, due to possible demonstrations, and resultant police responses."

I would really not recommend the cache ideas mentioned earlier. The Ministry of Public Security and Public Security Bureau will likely take a very active interest in that, as kmrtnsn mentioned. China is not a friendly place to foreigners. All of our people take extraordinary precautions when traveling there.

Congrats to your daughter, that she wishes to help others through such efforts. We will keep her in our prayers.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Further thoughts:

Oh, and ANY electronic device she takes should be considered compromised. ANY communication she has with you from there should be considered monitored. Because it will be.

Have her buy a cheap Nokia phone there, and maybe a cheap laptop. Nokia's are really rugged, and she can sell it before she leaves. Do not take her own phone and laptop she uses here, unless you are willing to leave them there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

water filter

A lot of the filter straws don't filter out a lot of the nasties. The sawyer squeeze filter does though. It's $50 here It might be a tad bigger than "straw" filters but it does screw in to typical water bottles/pop bottles. I have not used it but it is on my list. It seems perfect for travel though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    As I guy who has lived, and traveled extensively out CONUS I am going to call the above post VERY BAD ADVICE. The police, or worse yet, secret police or military in most countries would find the above concealment methods and items to be prima facie evidence of smuggling at the least and espionage at the worst. Making this guys daughter even appear to be some kind of operator in a country like the PRC just isn't a good plan.

Cheap no brand, or locally available items are a much better route to go. Cheap kitchen knives can be sheathed in cardboard, tossed and reacquired on the local economy. A camping folder, especially a Chinese made camping folder is pretty innocuous. A handmade, U.S. sourced fighting knife, however, sends a pretty strong signal and not the signal she wants to send, if caught. As for the hidden handcuff key, absolutely not. Better she look like what she is, a missionary rather than a commando or spy.

Also, depending on where she is, E&E'ing to a large U.S. based corporation's local plant, or the consulate or embassy of any western country would be better than trying to do a surreptitious border crossing, again, making her either a smuggler or a spy if caught on either side of the fence.
    THIS guy has the right of it. If you're not going to listen to advice like "Going to places like that without actual training and backup is really stupid, and Jesus won't protect you just because you're there to 'do good works', that is.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Further thoughts:

Oh, and ANY electronic device she takes should be considered compromised. ANY communication she has with you from there should be considered monitored. Because it will be.

Have her buy a cheap Nokia phone there, and maybe a cheap laptop. Nokia's are really rugged, and she can sell it before she leaves. Do not take her own phone and laptop she uses here, unless you are willing to leave them there.
    Good advice. A friend of mine goes to China regularly on business. He buys a laptop when he arrives and throws it away before he leaves. He says here WILL be government malware on everything you use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

tips form special ops guy

I just read an article today about international travel tips for female travelers. It is mostly advice on the subject from a former special ops guy. Here is the link http://www.theblaze.com/stories/top-...ecial-ops-guy/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilco423 View Post
    Good advice. A friend of mine goes to China regularly on business. He buys a laptop when he arrives and throws it away before he leaves. He says here WILL be government malware on everything you use.
    Plus, if you choose to bring your expensive equipment out of country then it may cost a lot for bribes to customs. I have two co-workers that had to pay $200 and $300 as bribes to get their corporate issued laptops out of Mexico and India. buying local and planning to leave it there will simplify things and save money most likely.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What sort of on location transportation will be made available to them?

Does your daughter have experience riding a motorcycle? If I were in that situation, I'd immediately purchase a cheap Chinese 100-250cc motorcycle. Bikes and small motos/moped/scooters are extremely common.

A group of foreigners in a vehicle are going to draw attention. Another of the masses riding a motorcycle in local clothes may get a lot further, if need be.

Prayers for your daughter.

Edit - A good primer on what travel would be like via moto can be found at this website www.advrider.com

Go to "Ride Reports" and hit the "search this forum" and enter "china".
    Last edited by cinco; 08-01-12 at 17:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Something to be aware of, especially in communist countries, is the neighborhood stoolies. Your daughter and her team have got to be extremely circumspect of any talk or actions that could draw suspicion that they are making or have made any preps to bug out in an emergency or do any other non-govt-approved actions.

Most likely anyone assigned to them as guides, interpreters, or household or project help is making reports to local govt on their activities, talk, travels, and equipment. Once in country they should behave and talk only about their immediate work and leisure; any alternate plans or preps should be discussed before leaving US.

Avoid having anything that could raise suspicions or "tariffs" on entry or exit, have a missionary work cover for any prep tools and supplies, and buy anything extra such as scooters, bicycles, hand tools, food, etc locally. It would be very difficult to have much extra food, compared to the locals as that would raise suspicions as well.

All in all, they are choosing to serve God in a very tightly controlled country that is absolutely intolerant of non-govt controlled religions or organizations. There are always a few things that can be done to prep for disasters and such, but if they do or say anything out of the ordinary for people in her line of work they will become suspect, which is the worse thing if things go haywire. Stay absolutely within the law. Friendly relationships will be more valuable than a tool or provisions that risk suspicion.

If a trigger event happens then they need to act with extreme opsec, or take their chances with friendly locals. I would not want to be in a position of trying to illegally bug out in a country that large with such tight govt oversight and control, and severe consequences. God bless.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast