Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: advice on daughter's escape & evasion preps

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    and where does that rope come from? Is she going to carry 70-80 feet of rope with her wherever she goes?

The spool of AmSteel I had in the picture contains around 76 feet, weighs less than 1 pound and can fit in the cargo pocket of a pair of pants, even more so a purse...
    Where'd you get that from? and the mini-8, too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Missionary work is ILLEGAL in China. And no, I am not kidding. Have your daughter write "proselytizing Christian beliefs" on her Chinese visa application and see what happens.

Your daughter can GOT TO PRISON in China for missionary work. ALthough that is not likely, it is possible.
    Although it pretains nothing to the OP's questions, I've got to ask...how did she get involved with this "mission"? What's her motivations? And so on...I'd love to know the background story.
    I'm no expert, but I took my CCW course at a Holiday Inn Express

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Where'd you get that from? and the mini-8, too.
    I built it.... I bought the AmSteel from a company called Redden Marine Supply online.... as they were the only company with AmSteel Black in stock..

The spool setup is just a standard 31kn Locking Carabiner, I took a spool used to wrap wire cut it on one side and slid it over the carabiner, secured the line to the carabiner itself with a bowline/overhand combo and then just spooled it up....

I got the descender and carabiner from REI, the riggers belt from 215 Gear....

the entire setup cost around $150...

like I said... I have replaced all of my 550 cordage with AmSteel... it holds a considerable amount more weight, it floats and doesn't absorb water, its very abrasion resistant.... it dulled my knife 6 times trying to cut it so I had to get razors... its made of Dyneema... its burn resistant unlike 550 cord that bubbles and pools up, the list just goes on... if you carry 550 cord just incase... why not just carry 1600 or 2500 cord that's smaller and lighter...

yeah its more expensive... but you get what you pay for.... I have even managed to replace the guts of my Desert Tan 550 cord with AmSteel so it looks and acts just like 550 cord... but holds 1600 pounds...that would just be for people who want the different color options of 550 cord, plus you get a little added abrasion resistance..
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 09-02-12 at 00:34.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    I have completely replaced all of my 550 cordage with Amsteel..... you can get it in 7/64th's which is almost half the width of 550 cord, so you can carry almost twice as much, but the AmSteel can hold 1600 pounds.... as opposed to 550...

testing video of AmSteel strength...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcifJkhXpMM
    Holy****.

Getting me some of that.

Oh, it's Dyneema. That makes sense.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger29 View Post
    Although it pretains nothing to the OP's questions, I've got to ask...how did she get involved with this "mission"? What's her motivations? And so on...I'd love to know the background story.
    She has a quiet but very strong fire inside her to serve our Lord, she has had it since she was a little girl and it never wavered. She also has enthusiastic support from her mainstream protestant congregation. When she made the decision, (although we regularly attend our little church) her decision shocked and concerned us. We tried many times talking her out of it, ensuring she knew the risks.

Initially my wife and I couldn't have children. After about three years, my wife prayed and asked that if she could have one child, she would give her/him back to serve our Lord as an adult. She never told anyone until last year. My wife shared her story of prayer with us long after my daughters commitment to missionary work. May sound hokey but it is a true story. My wife deeply worries but sincerely believes her prayer was answered and is committed to supporting her.

She is 24, single and had previously taught school. This is her third and longest trip to China. The past two trips she influenced four to six on each trip to open their hearts. To be candid she loves the Chinese people. She is fluent with the language and is respectful so they tend to be curious and friendly. Also she is a curiosity, most Chinese have never seen a foreignor and fair white skin is considered beautiful. Often they will come touch her skin and hair. She also has done several short mission trips in the USA. I hope this is her last overseas mission trip, she has a nice steady boyfriend back home and the worry for her safety wears one down.

She has assimilated well in her location, is getting to know locals and their customs. Currently she is spending time in an orphanage with the kids and taking Mandarin classes to correctly pronounce the local dialect. She will soon be teaching English to adults.

I certainly appreciate all of the advice and prayers. Also the concerns shared were read with understanding, none were a shock, I am fully aware and worry and pray nightly. I know what a totalitarian govt like the PRC is capable of and pray I never become more familiar.

She is very aware of Opsec, was trained how not to upset the authorities, knows her cell phone is tracked even if it is off -if the battery is installed. We were careful of what E&E items to take and were limited to tourist type gear. She went to special training schools simulating life in a hostile 3rd world country 7/24. Her emails avoid certain words and she know she is or can be watched. There is no blending in for a fair white skin, blue eyed, blonde. Although small framed for a US woman, she is HUGE compared to Chinese. She is 5'5", very fit, weighs 121, and can't find local clothes to fit.

One item we acted upon was having contact info for all consulates friendly to US in China, not just USA and also water purification straws instead of tablets. She took basic needs for water, food, sufficient currency to travel quickly to get out if tensions rise.
    She is not Special Ops, just needed advice on what to take to move quick and fast. The plan is to get out fast to a friendly destination if a conflict starts to escalate. Return trip home fare is not an issue, she knows to leave via plane, train, bus, oxcart, etc, while exit routes are open and not sneaking across borders like some envision, leave that to SF. I will post photos what she took after she returns, I took photos of some key items to share.

Our nephew is on his third tour as a Marine carrying a rifle in Afghanistan. Our daughter chose to carry a bible instead of a rifle as her form of service. Also FYI, followers of Islam are also diligently working hard to expand and fill the void in China with their version of hope.

Respectfully, from a dad who loves his daughter
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 09-03-12 at 02:35.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    God bless your daughter and your family. She is a brave soul.

Feedback Score
    18 (85%)
    Good luck to her, and she will
    Be in my prayers tonight.
    Last edited by cgjane; 09-04-12 at 22:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post

Respectfully, from a dad who loves his daughter
    Thank you for giving us all an update.

Call me an alarmist, but if your daughter needs an E&E plan, then what she is doing is too illegal and too dangerous. Therefore I will suggest at this time that you attempt to convince her to discontinue her activity and come home before she gets caught. It just isn't worth it for your daughter to be arrested and have her body broken, health ruined, and to carry emotional scars forever from what the Chinese police do to persons engaged in activities which are deemed to be a threat to the continued rule of the Communist Party. Your daughter could use her Mandarin skills to proselytize in Taiwan.

Hoping she will be ok...

Feedback Score
    This whole thread reminds me of that movie Spy Games with Robert Redford.

Good luck to your daughter.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Hope this worked out fine in the end.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456