Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Surefire SOCOM RC Suppressors

Feedback Score

New Surefire SOCOM RC Suppressors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bjFQ...layer_embedded

There is a thread on TOS where kudu22 from surefire posts some good info.
    There is some bickering also, but some good info as well.
    I dont want to link it, but its in the suppressor section.

Im pretty upset.
    I know suppressor technology is changing fast, and people always say something new will be out before your forms clear.
    It just hurts when its so soon after I order the now "older" model.

It sounds like these will be available before I get my 212 in my hands.
    And these have a lower MSRP to boot....
    Last edited by saddlerocker; 07-13-12 at 21:43.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I understand your irritation, but to be fair the 212 has been around for sometime. It is still a great suppressor regardless.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I know exactly how you feel, when I saw those my first thought was "You bastards." However I will say if these go on commercial sale Im going to get one as I have only a mini surefire currently.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I knew all about this and ordered an in stock new locking ring -212 a couple weeks ago. No regrets, why would I have?
    Last edited by WS6; 07-14-12 at 08:22.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The SOCOM (or RC, depending on who you talk to) 'cans will be available for civilian purchase. Current estimates put them in dealer hands Sept/Oct. Of course, that hinges some on form 3 times.

Per Garin at Surefire-they provide roughly the same noise reduction as the current 556-212 (at least the 556RC does). The benefits from the new unit are that it reduces back pressure (less gas to the face), have improved durability (unknown how much more effective life), and a new mount system.

The new 'cans are "technically," incompatible with old mounts. What that means to us end users I'm not quite sure yet. The new mount is supposed to be easier to mount/dismount after heavy firing schedules and carbon buildup.

That's all I know. I'm just a simple nobody...but Garin did take the time to explain that much to me.

Feedback Score
    In the thread on TOS Garin says the new cans will attach to the old mounts, but they dont have a locking pin, so they can spin.
    He says they will work, the suppressor will stay in line with the bore, but surefire is basically going to say they are NOT compatible.

He also said they are building Major Malfunctions order right now, as well as other distributors.
    So they are being built for the civilian market right now.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The only advantages I see for me would be that it lasts longer, and there is less FRP and muzzle-flash. To me, that's not worth the extra wait.

I run a Switchblock, and my system is gassed perfectly as-is for the -212. Putting the SOCOM suppressor on it would:

-Make no difference if the backpressure is only barely reduced.
    -Make it less reliable if it truly is reduced, as it will STILL be over-gassed slightly in normal mode, and under-gassed in suppressed mode. This is an improvement for sure on guns that don't have adjustable gas-blocks, though.

The mount issue is because SOCOM selected the -215 mount. It's possible to lock the -212 down between tines on the 215 mount, instead of in the mount-slots in each time. There are 4 mount-slots, and they do carbon up when "not in use". This means that if you try to put the can on another mount-slot than you have had it on, it's not going to work that hot. I run a -212 mount, so it doesn't matter to me. Carbon can't build up behind the index pin on the -212 mount like it can on the -215, and you can index it with your eyes closed and KNOW you are on right. Basically, SOCOM now has a mount with the utility of the -212 but the flash-suppression of the -215. Yes, the new Surefire mount DOES ring, but only very very slightly. I prefer NO ring, per my -212. It works great.
    Last edited by WS6; 07-14-12 at 09:29.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    All very good points, after some thought I've decided against obtaining a new 5.56 suppressor for some time...commercially the biggest appeal for these suppressors is the fact they are going to be issued to SOCOM but I learned a while back that just because its issued doesn't mean it will be used. Instead I am looking at getting into the 300 Blk out market with a SR7 then using the SR7 with my 5.56. Cost effective and modular!

Feedback Score
    Hey guys if you need any other info on the new SOCOM series of suppressors just let me know. I will do my best to stop by M4carbine a lot more. I also have product information sheets on some of the suppressors and the adapters that I can e-mail you. Just hit me at Garin@surefire.com and I will send the PDF files over.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Be nice if they had a updated 762SS can, at least with the front cap.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast