Thread: First Cleaning - Shipping Grease

Feedback Score

First Cleaning - Shipping Grease

Hi, just picked up a Colt LE6920. It has what appears to be some sort of shipping grease in it, perhaps cosmoline. I've cleaned many rifles before but never a brand new one with packing/shipping grease or cosmoline on it. It's obvious that this stuff is to protect the rifle for shipping and storage, not lubricate it, based on a simple pull of the charging handle.

Is there anything special that has to be done, or do I just have to wipe it dry and then clean/lube it as normal? The owners manual didn't say anything about it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by x60183; 07-14-12 at 11:56.

Feedback Score
    I clean the grease / oil off new guns with a good gun solvent / degreaser and run a bore snake through the barrel a couple of times. I then lube bolt and bcg and fire away.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'd clean that stuff off with a good solvent, run a couple of wet patches through the barrel followed by dry ones. Then re-lube the bolt/bcg and fire away. Good luck with the new blaster !

Feedback Score
    I used an old cotton t-shirt to wipe it off. It ended up coming right off, but the end result was a completely dry rifle. Then I put a lot of CLP on it let it sit overnight. I'm going to wipe it down again today and re-lube it. It's already functions-checking much better... now to find a place to go fire it.

Feedback Score
    Simple Green is the best product I've used to remove heavy grease. When I bought my Mosin it was caked with the stuff, Simple Green made quick work of it.
    "Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave." - Andrew Fletcher, 1698

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"Among Other Evils Which Being Unarmed Brings You, It Causes You To Be Despised." - The Prince, Nicolo Machiavelli

Feedback Score
    If it's cosmoline- use the trick we do on surplus M1 garands- break it all down, throw the parts in boiling water for a few minutes, and it all comes off and floats to the surface. Dry and oil parts afterwards.

Don't use your wife's good pots.