Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival rifle

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

AR-7

I owned a Henry "survival" rifle (aka AR-7) for several months before selling it. I had horrible luck trying to get it to run reliability. It was very finicky on ammo and always had FTF and FTE issues.

I highly recommend a Ruger 10/22 with several of the new Ruger BX-25 magazines. They are rock solid. If you want something more compact take a look at the new take-down 10/22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n517rv View Post
    I owned a Henry "survival" rifle (aka AR-7) for several months before selling it. I had horrible luck trying to get it to run reliability. It was very finicky on ammo and always had FTF and FTE issues.

I highly recommend a Ruger 10/22 with several of the new Ruger BX-25 magazines. They are rock solid. If you want something more compact take a look at the new take-down 10/22.
    I have a Survival Arms AR-7 that runs great, but reports (like the above post) of newer Henry's running hit-or-miss (mostly miss) are so common that I can not recomend them. I agree with the take-down 10/22 as the way to go. Other contenders are the Marlin Papoose, the new Savage M42 (new newest version of the, no longer produced M24), and the Springfiled M-6 (no longer in production and therefore very pricey on the used market).

Have you consided an accurate .22lr pistol?

Feedback Score

AR-7 V/S 10--22

I've had one made by Charter Arms from early 80s Its best with the cheap 22 fed lightnings big box others jammed regular FTFs got 2nd one a few years ago. got the first one as a kid spent alot of time in/ on rivers so I chose it "if dropped it would float over the 10-22 been great for me knowing its weaknesses. finicky on ammo limited rnds cap only so so luck w larger cap mags. If I was looking now the take down 10-22 looks good but have seen problems w SS models. I personally have 10-22s and shot th crap out of one, the barrel block broke from use. I've been thinking about getting one of the take down ones too.
    IMHO
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Start with a Ruger 10/22 and replace the stock with a folding one from Butler Creek. This makes the rifle very compact and reduces weight.

Also if you wish to take it a step further a super light Carbon Fiber replacement barrel would make the rifle truly portable both weight and size wise that your son should be able to carry/handle with ease.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo6Actual View Post
    I have & use this all the time.

A brick 550 rnds is > $20.00. Excellent system, low weight, compact & surprising accuracy.

I use MagPul BUIS w/ Vortex RDS. Light weight & tac driver.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/Ares_22_RCU/129/c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0kQxSPOP3c

here's a link to a previous post:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=102529

Shot placement is everything w/ this system.
    I love this system. Very light and packable.

Feedback Score
    I don't have one, but another option for a breakdown .22 is the Marlin Papoose.

Cole
    Cead Mile Failte

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room."

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K9 jake View Post
    I love this system. Very light and packable.
    You are correct.
    It is a very good, reliable, light, compact & accurate system.
    Converts back to pistol for close concealed work as well.
    You will not regret, better choice & more options than Ruger 10/22.

Feedback Score
    Some very good suggestions in this thread. You may also want to check out Remington's 597 line of .22 lr. I have both a Ruger 10/22 & a 597 and I like the Remington better.

The 597 has a proprietary bolt-guidance system, which has a unique set of twin tool-steel guide rails that the bolt rides on for better stability, feeding reliability & accuracy. This thing is so reliable & accurate for it's intended range that I don't even see the need to run a scope on it.

For survival mode and small game I want a stock. They have all sorts of models from tactical with collapsable stock to the AAC which has a threaded barrel. I have the plain jane 597. I wish I had gotten the AAC but I found it sitting in a Pawn Shop for $100. 30 round magazines are around $20 at Brownells. The black 30 round magazines seem to be much more reliable than the clear ones from my experience. They're easy to field strip & clean after the first time you learn how to do it. http://www.remington.com/product-fam...model-597.aspx

For ammo I prefer CCI Mini Mags for plinking and CCI Velocitor hollow points for small game. Both 40 Gr. Very good accurate ammo.
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 08-20-12 at 03:38.
    Live paranoia trumps dead bravado, every time.

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: AR-7

My Henry AR-7* runs like a champ. I had issues with some weak old 22LR but I only use CCI Mini-Mags in it. The springs seem to be the issue in that case; rounds fired but it would short-stroke the weak ammo.

Edit: With CCI Mini-Mags it has run 100%

*Not a primary survival rifle. I prefer my 10/22 with a folding stock.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 08-20-12 at 07:16. Reason: Edit
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ruger 10/22

Ruger is now making a take down 10/22 in stainless. It's a little pricey, but you would have a wealth of aftermarket parts available to you. The availability of hi-cap mags is also a huge plus. I would be plenty accurate for shots out to 100. With the right ammunition you could stretch it even further in extreme cases. Unfortunately the standard stock does not fold, but you may be able to adapt one to the take down system.

With a picatinny rail on top you could go from a mini red dot/reflex to a variable power scope.

TC
    Last edited by The_Count; 08-20-12 at 08:51. Reason: Spell Check

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast