Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival rifle

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

jp sauer and sohn, drilling

http://www.rockislandauction.com/vie...id/52/lid/3482

Not cheap, probably the most expensive survival weapon...

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Back before SHTF and TEOTWAWKI were common acronyms and Mel Tappan was just starting to write a column in Guns and Ammo, I bought a Savage model 24C. The local gun store had to special order it.

The 24C was marketed as a Campers Companion, that is the C designation. No one back then knew what bugging out was. It easily breaks into two pieces to fit into a back pack case. They are chambered for .22 LR over 20 gauge, mine has a 3" chamber.

It has a hinged butt plate that is shown flipped open in the photo below with drilled storage holes for spare .20 gauge and .22 cartridges OR fishooks, matches, para cord, firestarter, etc.

With sub-caliber chamber inserts mine can fire .410 gauge, .44 magnum & .44 special, .357 magnum & .38 special, 9mm, and of course 20 gauge birdshot, buckshot, or slugs, and .22 rim fire. The subcaliber inserts gives a lot of versatility. I am sure there are now more sub caliber inserts than the few I bought years ago.

I can consistently cloverleaf 9mm Winchester 124g SXT hollow points at 50 yards using the iron sights and a prone rest on the ground . To be candid, the only thing I ever killed with it were English Sparrows in the back yard-shooting .20 gauge birdshot. I did replace the rear ramp style sight with a Ruger 10/22 folding sight.

There is one for sale right now on Gunbroker for a buy it now price of $230. I am not associated with that sale. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=304714572

It is about the same overall length as a Ruger 10/22. It is a handy little gun.

Have fun
    RFA
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 09-16-12 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    RFA, if you don't mind, how do you find accuracy with the inserts?

Are the inserts just a "bore only" so that the round fits, or a full length tube that fits the entire barrel?

I can't imagine accuracy would be great if you're bouncing calibers down the barrel ranging from 9mm (.35) to .44.

Thanks.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Inserts are rifled. They are same length as a 3" 20 gauge shell. That's all the rotation it takes for a pistol bullet, think derringer.

With iron sights at 50 yards, I am able to consistently get one to two inch groups with 9mm Winchester +P hollow points, cloverleaf groups are common. I was surprised at the accuracy.

Once I read inserts have to be put in the same way every time for consistent accuracy. So each of mine I engraved an index mark at 12:00.

RFA
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 09-16-12 at 21:27.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghunterCO View Post
    I have a Survival Arms AR-7 that runs great, but reports (like the above post) of newer Henry's running hit-or-miss (mostly miss) are so common that I can not recomend them. I agree with the take-down 10/22 as the way to go. Other contenders are the Marlin Papoose, the new Savage M42 (new newest version of the, no longer produced M24), and the Springfiled M-6 (no longer in production and therefore very pricey on the used market).

Have you consided an accurate .22lr pistol?
    They've always been hit-or-miss, it isn't just the newer ones.

I'd recommend a .22 pistol of the target variety. You lose nearly nothing in velocity and in the hands of a decent shot the same is true of accuracy and the weapon is lighter and easier to carry than a rifle. You can then have the kid's rifle be something with a little more punch.

Feedback Score
    My henry AR7 worked great and was accurate enough but the trigger sucked and the stock is actually kind bulky. The novelty wore off and I sold it, but I never had any trouble with it.

I'm interested in a 10/22 takedown and the new .22 over .410 from savage.

I would also look at matched sets from someone like rossi that have .22lr and one or two other barrels that are easily changed.
    Last edited by bigghoss; 09-18-12 at 21:56.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'm about to jump on the 12ga adapter bandwagon myself:

http://www.gunadapters.com/

Check out the "pathfinder" kit.

22lr rifled
    9mm rifled
    .410 smoothbore

I already have an H&R Single shot 12GA, but even if you don't, they're easily found under $100.

I carry an M&P 9mm everyday anyway, so I've got that ammo. 22lr and 12ga are very common.

Not really a fighting gun, but that's not what a survival rifle is built for.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

adaptors

Those adaptors look pretty interesting, I like the longer rifled options, for a little more accuracy out of a break open double.
    The 38/357 would be a nice addition.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I'm about to jump on the 12ga adapter bandwagon myself:

http://www.gunadapters.com/

Check out the "pathfinder" kit.
    I have had the Pathfinder Kit on my wishlist for a while. My problem is, none of my single-shot 12 gauges have rifle sights on them. I'm not sure how much use the 9mm and .22LR would be.
    Getting the 20ga and .410ga reducers seems like a no-brainer to me.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 09-26-12 at 13:38. Reason: spelling
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I have had the Pathfinder Kit on my wishlist for a while. My problem is, none of my single-shot 12 gauges have rifle sights on them. I'm not sure how much use the 9mm and .22LR would be.
    Getting the 20ga and .410ga reducers seems like a no-brainer to me.
    Did you watch the video on the site? The guy is shooting one hole groups at 30 yds with the 9mm insert using a bead site. Accurate enough 100 yds and in if you ask me. I live in Eastern Woodlands...not much here is over 100yds.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast