Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Survival rifle

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    10/22 takedown would be my vote from the stand point of easy to find and cheap mags, easy to carry ammo, and it breaks down for easy pack storage.
    Not sure about you guys, but I'm only here for the free food and open bar.

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P Armorer
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score

If portability is a concern?

Why would you go with an entire dedicated .22lr upper, when the Ciener .22lr unit 3-4 lbs lighter, much more compact, and plenty accurate enough for foraging? The parts swap for the calibers takes just 20 seconds. Ditto, if portability and survival are the issue, 223 is the only way to go for the centerfire variant. But you want some sort of deep penetrating softpoint or hollowpoint, not the 'fragment in a sparrow" sort of varmint load. I'm not coughing up money for separate "real" big game hunting rifle, match rifle, small game rifle, defensive/shtf rifle, and varmint rifle, scoping all of them, paying for trigger jobs on all of them, practicing with all of them, etc, when I can do it all with the AR.

Since you can only carry one longarm (and a backpack) I say that it's best to have the most versatile one. It's pretty hard to shoot anything a gun that you aint got with you. The shorty AR will take down in 5 seconds, to stow out of sight in a backpack, reassemble to fire in 10 seconds, too. It's threaded for a suppressor and it comes with a dark, rust resistant finish and a flashhider. You can get a folding stock, luminous sights, night scope, red-dot, etc for it. You can buy an 80% finished receiever, or even build one from scratch with a 3D printer. You can get lead weights for the match rifle, or have a 4 lb carbine if you like.
    Last edited by dabbie; 10-26-13 at 08:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ruger 10/22 takedown maybe?

Feedback Score
    Along with what almost everyone else said-Ruger 10/22. There are a ton of accessories for this rifle out there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an original Armalite AR-7 that is decent quality and has fine reliability. I really like it as a plinker and don't have anything bad to say about it...but if I were making the choice of which "survival rifle" to carry, hands down it would be a 10/22 TD.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    If i were you, i would check out the kel-tec sub2000. It is a nifty little 9mm or .40 that folds in half to store in a backpack, but accepts a wide variety of mags (depending on what you buy). For instance, if you buy the glock 19 version, your kel tec will accept glock 19, glock 17, and glock 33 rnd mags. Effective range is 150m, for a price under $500. Something to think about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rr5tfG7b8

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    10-22 is a great choice as has been stated.
    Really depends on what you need to survive.
    As much as I love my AR for defense, for an all out survive anything versatile rifle I'm thinking my mossy 500. From HD to hunting small game to big game, to predator protection. A backpack with different shells for whatever needs arise should serve one well. If I was heading out and could only carry one rifle, it's be the 500.
    Thankfully, I've got a wife and two teenage boys in my bug scenario, so wife carries 10-22, boy 1 gets 500, boy 2 AR, and AR for me. My boys are proficient in safe handling and shooting all our weapons. Wifey, not so much, but she won't mind carrying one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My 7 iron is more accurate than my capabilities. Same with my AR.

Feedback Score
    So Santa brought me a threaded 10/22 take down. I have always been a huge fan of the platform I will see how it does.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghunterCO View Post
    So Santa brought me a threaded 10/22 take down. I have always been a huge fan of the platform I will see how it does.
    Dude! We need photos! I did no know they made the TD threaded, does it have a FH on it?
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Dude! We need photos! I did no know they made the TD threaded, does it have a FH on it?
    http://ruger.com/products/1022Takedo...ets/11112.html

Yes they do and Ruger's FH (1/2x28 thread). I am sure that it will need a spacer to run a silencer. Mine was a Blued, Black Friday Cabela's deal. This is how I had wished that my other 10/22, 10/22-FS tactical, had come...with sights. I plan on correcting my FS with Nodak products.
    Last edited by LonghunterCO; 12-29-13 at 19:59. Reason: spelling and link

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast