Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Survival rifle

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dabbie View Post
    Why would you go with an entire dedicated .22lr upper, when the Ciener .22lr unit 3-4 lbs lighter, much more compact, and plenty accurate enough for foraging? The parts swap for the calibers takes just 20 seconds. Ditto, if portability and survival are the issue, 223 is the only way to go for the centerfire variant. But you want some sort of deep penetrating softpoint or hollowpoint, not the 'fragment in a sparrow" sort of varmint load. I'm not coughing up money for separate "real" big game hunting rifle, match rifle, small game rifle, defensive/shtf rifle, and varmint rifle, scoping all of them, paying for trigger jobs on all of them, practicing with all of them, etc, when I can do it all with the AR.

Since you can only carry one longarm (and a backpack) I say that it's best to have the most versatile one. It's pretty hard to shoot anything a gun that you aint got with you. The shorty AR will take down in 5 seconds, to stow out of sight in a backpack, reassemble to fire in 10 seconds, too. It's threaded for a suppressor and it comes with a dark, rust resistant finish and a flashhider. You can get a folding stock, luminous sights, night scope, red-dot, etc for it. You can buy an 80% finished receiever, or even build one from scratch with a 3D printer. You can get lead weights for the match rifle, or have a 4 lb carbine if you like.
    I have a CMMG kit and a few of their dedicated uppers. I've heard horror stories about Ciener. I wouldn't buy one of theirs.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I bought my son a Rossi Matched Set single shot with three barrels - .22lr, 20 ga., and .243 - http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...adcrumbseries=

S2022243YBS.jpg

the .22 and .243 are surprisingly accurate but never shot the 20ga. Since they have all outgrown this youth set, the plan is to make it into my survival rifle with the .22 barrel attached and the 20ga in the pack. Or vice versa but it balances and carries better with the rifle barrel attached...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    +1 ruger 10/22

Feedback Score
    For a packable rifle the Henry AR7 and the 10 22 takedown are hard to beat.
    I have a Rossi youth 2 barrel takedown kit. Its 22lr and 410. It packes up small around 2ft and fits perfectly in my pack. The trigger is crap but I only paid $100 for it. If money was no object, I'd buy the Ruger or the Henry, they are nice but I'm dead on with this rossi in squirrel and rabbit range. I also pack 410 slugs just in case I need to drop something human sized.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678