Thread: Colt Commander Replacement Sights

Feedback Score

Colt Commander Replacement Sights

Hey guys,
    I'm not very knowledgeable on 1911s . That being said, my Dad has a Colt Commander he bought new in the 70's. It has come to his attention lately that the original lowprofile sights are not working for him in his post retirement years (20+yrs 19K MG).

He wants to upgrade to a faster sight. Also, he wants something that is more for tactial use over competition oriented as this is a carry gun.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
    Dave

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I carried a LW Commander for work years ago. I just went for a high set of fixed sights with ample width on the rear for a fast sight alignment. Ditto on my steel gun and most recently on a SA Mil-Spec. The latter has a dovetailed front sight which is a better way to go now.

I suppose you could go for a high-viz tube up front, gold bead, big white dot, and/or night sights. Of late I like a white dot on the front only. Main thing is a set of sights you can pick up fast and really SEE.

Lots of options out there.

Feedback Score

Talking

10-8 has a popular one: 10-8 NM

Another one: Retro Rear Sight

And King-Tappan (no longer made) if you can find them.

Get a suitable height (brass or gold bead) for the front.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper