Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate my new blowout kit

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Rate my new blowout kit

I've been doing a bit of research in the hopes of putting together an upgraded and really solid blowout kit. Everything was just delivered today and I got in all in (a very tight fit, but I figure the pouch will stretch out/take a set once it's used more.

For the pros out there, how'd I do? Anything you'd change/swap out? I can always put rejects in my vehicle kit.

BFG Trauma Kit Now Pouch
    BFG Tourniquet Now Strap
    CAT Tourniquet
    6" Olaes Bandage
    4" NAR ETD Bandage
    Quickclot Z-Fold Gauze
    H&H Compact Gauze
    Bolin Chest Seal
    Halo Chest Seals (2)
    Rausch NA w/ Surgilube
    NAR Black Talon Nitrile Gloves (2 pair)
    Burn Gel (2)
    Iodine Prep Pads (4)
    Alcohol Prep Pads (4)
    Combat/Duct Tape Roll
    Penlight
    NAR Shears
    Last edited by krisjon; 07-18-12 at 19:23.
    Life is full of choices. I choose Noveske.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Can I ask what is the enviroment for this kit? Are you a an LEO, in the military, or a smart person that prepares for bad things?

How many people is this intended to support?

You mentioned a pouch, is this carried on your person or part of a larger kit?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mostly a smart person preparing for bad things. I shoot in the desert east of San Diego a lot and also down near the Mexican border with some CBP friends of mine. Not necessarily bad areas, but everything from risks of other shooters, to ricochets, to gun-toting smugglers/border crossers are always a possibility. Better safe than sorry.

The kit is just for me and worst case boo-boo scenarios. I added the Bolin because while I know how to use everything else I've got, I'm not trained on, nor would I attempt needle decompressions. I figured I would use the Bolin on entry and Halo on exit. There's an extra Halo in my kit because they come in a 2-pack. I could also use the second Halo as an anchor (with a hole punched in it) for the Bolin.

As far as the BFG pouch goes, it's molle attached to my first line belt and deploys easily. I have other med kits and supplies for home and vehicle, but this is my mobile/shooter kit.
    Last edited by krisjon; 07-20-12 at 00:42.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I think it looks pretty good. I'd drop the penlight and the alcohol and betadine pads, but that's personal preference (and frankly, not that large of items). The chance of using either pad is pretty small, so why keep them, is my reasoning.

One thing I'd caution is to make sure things aren't too snugly packed. Sucks when you try and pull out item 1, and the entire pouch vomits everything into the dirt.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    I think it looks pretty good. I'd drop the penlight and the alcohol and betadine pads, but that's personal preference (and frankly, not that large of items). The chance of using either pad is pretty small, so why keep them, is my reasoning.

One thing I'd caution is to make sure things aren't too snugly packed. Sucks when you try and pull out item 1, and the entire pouch vomits everything into the dirt.
    Thanks. Actually the way the BFG Trauma Kit Now pouch deploys, that really isn't a problem. Everything is held down/organized with individual elastic bands and comes out in a open, but foldable V pack - so things aren't just stuffed in there all over the place. It's a pretty nice kit.

If you're not familiar with it, here's a :30 sec demo of how it works. I'm liking it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HdQX...layer_embedded

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would add a NPA sized for you.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Ditch the black gloves and get blue or purple nitriles. Hard to see if you get blood on hem during an exam, ESP at night. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjosh View Post
    I would add a NPA sized for you.
    How does someone personally size a NPA? Doesn't sound like too much fun.
    The one I have is a 28R, which I thought was fairly standard.
    Last edited by krisjon; 07-19-12 at 20:53.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    Ditch the black gloves and get blue or purple nitriles. Hard to see if you get blood on hem during an exam, ESP at night. Ask me how I know.

Good point. And those are easy to get.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Measure the diameter of the npa against your nostril or the nail of your pinky finger. Measure the length from your nostril to your tmj. Long as its not too big or excessively long, should be fine. You're basically sticking a straw in a soda bottle.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast