Quote Originally Posted by firemike View Post
The subject put me at odds with your original list - but your explanation of your use changes it ...

To me - a "Blow Out Kit" - is a standard immediate treatment kit carried by every member - that is supported by a trained dude with extra stuff.

I like that you are looking for additional training - that is a plus.

I do EMS for a living for more than 15 years - I am OK with NEVER using a penlight - but that's just me.

You have 2 bandages 4" + 6", 2 different gauzes, and 2 different chest seals (each of them cost a bit of cash - sorry for the loss). If you can not prove the value of each item as a stand alone asset without using the company's marketing info - that should encourage more training. (Typically a BOK has 1 of each)
Don't get me wrong - they are all good stuff - but by adding bulk and extra stuff - you are getting out of BOK into immediate aid (read training) the more you expand the more options = blah blah blah

I keep it simple - there are some nice combat aid items on the market - for a BOK - a premium 6" bandage, premium gauze pack, dual chest seal + NPA is a good answer. But I am good supporting it with basic trauma dressings, Koflex, Triangle bandages & Ace Bandages.

RE: NPA & Chest needle - the ONLY people I have ever met that will carry those items in their BOK are people who have 100% Trust and Faith in the people on the team who will be sticking them INSIDE them.

Just because you can buy it on the internet doesn't mean it is a good idea to carry it or use it.

I like the shears - for a BOK the weight is not a priority - but it is a very useful tool all around - I can get away with a knife most of the time - but sometime the shears just make life easier.

For me the wipes are useless - they are aimed at the chest needle skill - which is out of my realm. That being said - they are just about weightless and damn near free - I can light the alcohol prep on fire so it has some value in the big picture.

You didn't mention it - but a PRIORITY skill to support your BOK is the ability to get diffinative help wherever you are - PERIOD ! You need to maintain a rock solid communication capability to get a capable ALS crew in contact with any victim as soon as possible and transported to the appropriate care level as soon as possible.
Good post,

But IMHO using an NPA is a lot easier and less risk of f'ing up than a chest needle. I'm a resp. therapist (I work at a 700+ bed hospital and do high risk helicopter transports) and place NPAs and oral airways on a weekly basis in kids 9 pounds to 300+ pounds adults.
To the OP,

I totally agree with getting proper training on how to use each item in your BOK or you may actually do more harm than good. The problem with chest seals, NPAs, oral airways, and chest needles is that they can cause a distraction for a lot of people that have never been in a stressful trauma situation before. While inserting an NPA or oral airway is pretty easy to do, the risks associated and knowing when to use an NPA over an oral, or just a simple jaw thrust could mean the difference between keeping the tongue swept back or causing aspiration of the patient’s vomit or blood after you triggered a gag reflex.
Agree with everyone that mentioned you should still carry those items for people first responders or others trained in using those items.

On a side note, I would recommend having a simple or more streamlined BOK on your person or nearby (CAT tourniquet, Israeli bandage, clotting agent, gloves, shears). Than have a larger med kit in a backpack, rang bag that has all the other stuff you listed: chest seals, surgical lube, NPA, burn get etc. The last thing you want to do is be rummaging through 20+ items while trying to untangle your CAT tourniquet or Israeli bandage to stop an arterial bleed.

The only thing I can think to add would be another CAT tourniquet to put in your backpack or range bag. My reasoning would be to double up on a major femoral bleeder, or if someone was shot through one leg and it went into the other leg you now have two appendages that need a tourniquet (1 is none 2 is one approach).

Thanks for the post OP, this brought up a lot of stuff I had overlooked in my own BOK/trauma bag