Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to defend myself against future acts of violence

Feedback Score

I want to defend myself against future acts of violence

I've always been into firearms ever since I was a little kid, but I grew in a family that enjoyed playing on the computer or messing around with their new Ipad, so going hunting for deer or going to the shooting range was never something my family was involved in. I have been in college now for almost 3 years and have never fired a single gun.

Over those past years I've seen a few news storys about someone getting murdered or shootings in a mall and it's always made me frustrated with myself about not owning a firearm and defending myself from all the freaks out there.

I know most of you have probably heard about the recent attack at a theater in Colorado, well that pushed to the edge and this year if not month I plan On getting my CCW permit and saving up to buy a handgun. My problem is I'm new to guns and have new real clue where to start looking for the right handgun for me. If you have any suggestions as to which Firearms I should look into it would REALLY be appreciated!

If it helps, I'm 5'10 190 lbs.

Thanks for reading guys.
    Last edited by Space Ghost; 07-21-12 at 02:50. Reason: grammar

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
    I've always been into firearms ever since I was a little kid, but I grew in a family that enjoyed playing on the computer or messing around with their new Ipad, so going hunting for deer or going to the shooting range was never something my family was involved in. I have been in college now for almost 3 years and have never fired a single gun.

Over those past years I've seen a few news storys about someone getting murdered or shootings in a mall and it's always made me frustrated with myself about not owning a firearm and defending myself from all the freaks out there.

I know most of you have probably heard about the recent attack at a theater in Colorado, well that pushed to the edge and this year if not month I plan On getting my CCW permit and saving up to buy a handgun. My problem is I'm new to guns and have new real clue where to start looking for the right handgun for me. If you have any suggestions as to which Firearms I should look into it would REALLY be appreciated!

If it helps, I'm 5'10 190 lbs.

Thanks for reading guys.
    Easy Son. Great you are interested in defending yourself...but no need to rush into anything. There is so much to read, and insight to learn from on this forum. Do a little searching and research. There is usually a local range that will let you shoot different firearms and get familiar with handling and safety. Not sure how your height and weight helps. Don't want you to think I'm trying to be condescending, just letting you know that purchasing a firearm shouldn't be an emotional decision

Feedback Score
    I agree with the above. You should try to find a "NRA Basic Pistol" course or similar, it is designed for the beginning shooter with little to no experience. Taking the time now to gain knowledge will save you both money and headache in the long run. Buying a gun is a big purchase ($500+). Would you buy a brand new computer with out knowing its specs and what that means for you, the user?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'll save you some research. Get a Glock 19 and take a class. Seriously.
    Last edited by vaglocker; 07-21-12 at 07:18.
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I beseech you, please find yourself a gun man, a true shooter, a sage.
    A GURU, if you will. Ive had TWO in my life, and learn, have learned so much from them its incredible. Ive got 40+ years of shooting and loving firearms and I listen to these men religiously.
    Stay THE HELL AWAY from computer commando's and gamers and
    "sideways shooters".
    Military service in and of itself is no sure sign a person is gun savy...but it helps, especially a combat vet. Maybe ask your local police firearms instructor for help, or advice on where and who to go see.
    BE CAREFUL. I know of NO subject on earth more full of shit and BS than firearms. Get competent training, practice a lot, and be ever vigilant.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 07-21-12 at 07:29.

Feedback Score
    I would recommend taking hunter safety even if you don't have intrests in hunting it will teach you basic gun safety. You already made a good choice by coming to this forum.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For someone with no experience with handguns, I definitely recommend the NRA basic pistol course (or similar) as a starting point. You need to first understand how a pistol works (revolver vs semi-auto), and the various types and sizes of semi-autos (compact vs standard, striker vs hammer, single action vs SA/DA, safety/no safety, sight picture etc. Once you have that info and make connection with a knowledgeable instructor, you are better positioned to pick a handgun that's right for you and your needs. THEN, you can get a simple holster and take a CCW course, which will teach you the very basics of defensive handgun carry and use, which will help you get a handgun permit and allow you to pick a carry holster/method with more accuracy, THEN you can take one or more increasing levels of defensive handgun shooting (draw, accuracy drills, scenario drills, shooting from cover etc).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I will echo the above posts and recommend more research and planning before getting into CCW. But if you want something for a home defense type role, think about a pump-action 12 gauge. The 12 gauge is widely considered to be the most effective tool for this job. Even after you have taken your time and carefully selected a handgun and received training, you still may prefer the shotgun when something goes"bump" in the night.
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    In your context, a handgun is going to be the most versatile defense tool to start working on right away - it can be stored closest to you in the home, and after some classes you can evaluate if it makes sense to start carrying it with you everywhere.
    Long guns will be a great addition down the road, but for now, the NRA Basic Pistol is the place to start looking, and acquiring an affordable reliable pistol (G19 is certainly not a bad suggestion - something of similar price and quality will also do) and mostly the purchasing of magazines and ammunition to get good at shooting that platform before you start dividing resources between multiple weapon systems.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Your basic Ruger Mk III .22 is not a bad place to start either. Learn the basics and develop accuracy skills cheaply and without putting recoil into the picture.

Learn safety first and foremost and make it a religion.

Many gun clubs (private ranges) will have a good beginners course and often provide the pistols and ammo as part of the fee. Some concealed carry instructors will provide the basics as well, but a club type "First Steps" class will be less expensive.

You probably know someone who is a serious shooter that could point you in the right directions as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast