Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want to defend myself against future acts of violence

Feedback Score
    But if you want something for a home defense type role, think about a pump-action 12 gauge. The 12 gauge is widely considered to be the most effective tool for this job. Even after you have taken your time and carefully selected a handgun and received training, you still may prefer the shotgun when something goes"bump" in the night.

How often is the distinct sound of a pump shotgun enough to scare an intruder off. There is no other sound like it. As a child I heard that sound once in the middle of the night, right before the dogs went nuts. We never found out who was in our house, but our dogs did their job. One came home pretty bloody and a bit sore. A good dog can be a extra line of defense, it can buy you a few seconds if someone is hell bent on really causing harm.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironworker46 View Post

How often is the distinct sound of a pump shotgun enough to scare an intruder off.
    Ugh. You must be new here.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Wow. I didn't expect so many replys! Thanks you guys. I will definitely take a course before I carry. Theres Actually a gun club not to far from me, I will talk to them and see if they have any courses I can take.

Thanks again for all the replys. If there is anything else you guys think I should know, please do tell.

'ppreciate it,

SG

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
    I've always been into firearms ever since I was a little kid, but I grew in a family that enjoyed playing on the computer or messing around with their new Ipad, so going hunting for deer or going to the shooting range was never something my family was involved in. I have been in college now for almost 3 years and have never fired a single gun.

Over those past years I've seen a few news storys about someone getting murdered or shootings in a mall and it's always made me frustrated with myself about not owning a firearm and defending myself from all the freaks out there.

I know most of you have probably heard about the recent attack at a theater in Colorado, well that pushed to the edge and this year if not month I plan On getting my CCW permit and saving up to buy a handgun. My problem is I'm new to guns and have new real clue where to start looking for the right handgun for me. If you have any suggestions as to which Firearms I should look into it would REALLY be appreciated!

If it helps, I'm 5'10 190 lbs.

Thanks for reading guys.
    Your interest in taking responsibility for your security and that of your loved ones is admirable.

I have a recommendation for you and it's not about which pistol to buy.

My recommendation to you is approach this subject by first finding out how criminals operate, how they pick out victims, what deters them, and how to avoid them, deter and fight them, and worry about hardware choices in good time.

I own and carry firearms, but they are the last resort for me. If I can avoid a criminal assault, or deter a criminal, that's much better IMO than having to fight him.

As far as I know, the best guy to seek out for understanding how criminals operate and how to deal with them across the whole spectrum of avoid/deter/defeat is Craig Douglas. You'll also see him referred to as Southnarc. His company name is Shivworks. Google those names and you should find him. Particularly of use to you at this point would be the first four hours of his two-day Practical Unarmed Combat (PUC) course. This four hour bloc deals with something called Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC), which is all about understanding criminals and enabling you to deal safely verbally and non-verbally with the strangers you encounter in your daily life.

Starting with the software, so to speak, of security training will help you make better, less wasteful hardware choices further down the road. I just wish I had done it that way myself years ago.

Just to let you know, I'm not affiliated with Craig or his company. I've taken his MUC bloc and can say that it was clearly the best and most useful defensive training I've ever taken from anyone. I've taken a half dozen classes (handgun, Force on Force) from several nationally known instructors and I rate Craig's class the best.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If there is anything else you guys think I should know, please do tell.
    Yep, ... don't believe everything you hear. Just listen to lots of people. Eventually you should see a pattern forming. Don't say.."well so and so said..."

If someone tells you something and you want the whole story on it,,, just run it by these guys.

and finally buy a good gun. Buy a known good, will serve you reliably for ages gun. It might cost a bit more but worth it.

Don't buy those cheap ass soft holsters.
    -People end up shooting themselves with those.

Don't carry a handgun on you without a holster.
    -People end up shooting themselves without one.

If your life is worth $300 buy good stuff because at the end of the day, that's about all it takes to go from ok funky stuff to good stuff.

Oh and almost all guns feel strange at first but you will get over that. What you probably won't get over is if operating the trigger is too long or mis-fitting to your hand.

Watch these videos......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTc5OG0AI64&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRcxgAEn7zU&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdDFA9EtFc4&feature=plcp

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    Your interest in taking responsibility for your security and that of your loved ones is admirable.

I have a recommendation for you and it's not about which pistol to buy.

My recommendation to you is approach this subject by first finding out how criminals operate, how they pick out victims, what deters them, and how to avoid them, deter and fight them, and worry about hardware choices in good time.

I own and carry firearms, but they are the last resort for me. If I can avoid a criminal assault, or deter a criminal, that's much better IMO than having to fight him.

As far as I know, the best guy to seek out for understanding how criminals operate and how to deal with them across the whole spectrum of avoid/deter/defeat is Craig Douglas. You'll also see him referred to as Southnarc. His company name is Shivworks. Google those names and you should find him. Particularly of use to you at this point would be the first four hours of his two-day Practical Unarmed Combat (PUC) course. This four hour bloc deals with something called Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC), which is all about understanding criminals and enabling you to deal safely verbally and non-verbally with the strangers you encounter in your daily life.

Starting with the software, so to speak, of security training will help you make better, less wasteful hardware choices further down the road. I just wish I had done it that way myself years ago.

Just to let you know, I'm not affiliated with Craig or his company. I've taken his MUC bloc and can say that it was clearly the best and most useful defensive training I've ever taken from anyone. I've taken a half dozen classes (handgun, Force on Force) from several nationally known instructors and I rate Craig's class the best.
    Thanks man, it means alot. I will definitely look up Graig Douglas.

Thanks so much for all your helpful information, It really does mean alot to me when I find complete strangers that are so willing to help me out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Yep, ... don't believe everything you hear. Just listen to lots of people. Eventually you should see a pattern forming. Don't say.."well so and so said..."

If someone tells you something and you want the whole story on it,,, just run it by these guys.

and finally buy a good gun. Buy a known good, will serve you reliably for ages gun. It might cost a bit more but worth it.

Don't buy those cheap ass soft holsters.
    -People end up shooting themselves with those.

Don't carry a handgun on you without a holster.
    -People end up shooting themselves without one.

If your life is worth $300 buy good stuff because at the end of the day, that's about all it takes to go from ok funky stuff to good stuff.

Oh and almost all guns feel strange at first but you will get over that. What you probably won't get over is if operating the trigger is too long or mis-fitting to your hand.

Watch these videos......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTc5OG0AI64&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRcxgAEn7zU&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdDFA9EtFc4&feature=plcp
    Thanks man. I appreciate the help!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I agree with the guy who said get a Glock 19 and take a class.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glock and.....There a couple of classes in Alabama that I can personally vouch for: http://www.wayofthegun.us/ (B-ham area) Frank is the man, and makes (IMO) the best damn AR sling out there, and he's pretty good instructor too.
    Arclight Group here in Auburn http://www.facebook.com/find-friends...76569229020175 http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arclig...type=1&theater BIO All they have is facebook page but if you go up to "The Firing Pin" in AU and will answear any?'s, One of the group works there. And of course there is training(and IDPA which will come after training) at Central/East Alabama gun clubs.
    Up towards Huntsville there is Shootrite but have no exp. with them. There is always instructors passing through as well.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 07-21-12 at 19:36.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just looked Arclight is holding a basic handgun class geared towards inexperienced shooters this Aug 18th. http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast