Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want to defend myself against future acts of violence

Feedback Score
    A lot of what's needed is already been said My advice is please, first and foremost Is safety. Understand owning a firearm is a huge responsibility and with this numb nut in Colorado comes all the anti gun rhetoric. There are too many people who think owning a gun and having a conceal carry license is the end right there. Only a fool would think as such. There are too many people who buy a gun without training and before you know it they have a Negligent discharge and someone gets hurt or killed. Then the media and anti gun shit heads have a field day So please get training and familiarize yourself before you carry. This is not to insinuate that your incompetent but driving the point home.
    Last edited by Phillygunguy; 07-21-12 at 20:35.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am not trying to discourage the OP from getting a pistol. However, learning how to operate a pistol requires more time and practice than doing the same with a shotgun. You could get a shotgun and learn the fundamentals of safe weapons handling, and get a pistol later. Learn to walk before you run.

This thread has Kyle Defoor's opinions on HD weapons:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...17#post1352617
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    Glock and.....There a couple of classes in Alabama that I can personally vouch for: http://www.wayofthegun.us/ (B-ham area) Frank is the man, and makes (IMO) the best damn AR sling out there, and he's pretty good instructor too.
    Arclight Group here in Auburn http://www.facebook.com/find-friends...76569229020175 http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arclig...type=1&theater BIO All they have is facebook page but if you go up to "The Firing Pin" in AU and will answear any?'s, One of the group works there. And of course there is training(and IDPA which will come after training) at Central/East Alabama gun clubs.
    Up towards Huntsville there is Shootrite but have no exp. with them. There is always instructors passing through as well.
    ^^^ This. My utmost recommendation for training in AL would be Frank at Way of the Gun (I too am a huge fan of his slings as well). I'll also suggest Curt and the guys at Lighthorse Tactical, which does a fair amount of training at Hoover Tactical Firearms, if your in the B'ham area.

I sent you a PM also. There's a fair number of good instructors scattered across the Heart of Dixie.
    Owner/ Operator, Trojan Tactical LLC. TROTAC.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JB326 View Post
    ^^^ This. My utmost recommendation for training in AL would be Frank at Way of the Gun (I too am a huge fan of his slings as well). I'll also suggest Curt and the guys at Lighthorse Tactical, which does a fair amount of training at Hoover Tactical Firearms, if your in the B'ham area.

I sent you a PM also. There's a fair number of good instructors scattered across the Heart of Dixie.
    I sent you PM, JB326. I live in Tuscaloosa so it might be hard to take time to go to Auburn and do a course. I do have family in Opelika, so when ever I get time off from school I will definitely take a look down there.

Thanks again for all the helpful posts guys!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
    I sent you PM, JB326. I live in Tuscaloosa so it might be hard to take time to go to Auburn and do a course. I do have family in Opelika, so when ever I get time off from school I will definitely take a look down there.

Thanks again for all the helpful posts guys!
    Oh well, I forgot to mention War Damn Eagle!
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    Oh well, I forgot to mention War Damn Eagle!
    Lol yeah, I saw that Auburn avatar! I actually have alot of close friends that go to Auburn. I'm a huge Bama fan but I don't have as much hate for Auburn as all the other Alabama fans do lol.

Roll Tide!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
    Lol yeah, I saw that Auburn avatar! I actually have alot of close friends that go to Auburn. I'm a huge Bama fan but I don't have as much hate for Auburn as all the other Alabama fans do lol.

Roll Tide!
    You can't be from AL and not live in a divided house..Keeps reunions intersting. Me personally go for both (AU1st, UA 2nd), that way I've always got some to root for in BCS bowl
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    You can't be from AL and not live in a divided house..Keeps reunions intersting. Me personally go for both (AU1st, UA 2nd), that way I've always got some to root for in BCS bowl
    Lol, true that man.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayglock View Post
    I agree with the guy who said get a Glock 19 and take a class.
    FWIW, I don't agree. Nothing against Glocks, but I just hate how they fit my hand. The smaller ones are better (ie, Glock 26), but the full size ones just suck for me. I'd say go with one that feels comfortable to you.

Don't get sucked into a caliber debate - good ammo is better than the "perfect" caliber. Shot placement is better.

A .22 pistol isn't a bad thought. Typically run $2-300 for one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Agreed, pic a gun that fits hand fairly well and something that you think is good for you. I would stay away from 22 for first purchase if gun is for "Home Defence" use. As far as cal, 9mm vs 45acp, more bullets in the gun means the longer your in the fight. And NOTHING makes up for poor shot placment. You cannot miss fast enough to win a gunfight.
    Go where the food is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast