Thread: So I have this post-ban Bushmaster. SPR?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

So I have this post-ban Bushmaster. SPR?

My dear dad has relegated his Post ban B(M)ushmaster carbine to me. He is in bad health, trying to pull out of it, but he is giving me a few things he may not be able to enjoy in the near future. (Poor man has been in the hospital since last November).

This year I am going after Bambi, considering the price of beef and chicken is about to sky-rocket this fall-winter, no thanks to the drought. There is also a good possibility I might do some hog hunting as well.

Which brings me to my idea (also a valid excuse), and a few questions.

The Bushmaster has a 16" upper but with an A2 lower. Thanks to the Brady bunch, this screaming carbine, with a rifle stock, gave me a concussion when I was 16 (concrete floor, tin roof and sponge ear plugs are not a good combination for a .223 that has an AK-74 muzzle brake). Needless to say, I do not like the upper.

I have done lowers before, but uppers are a new thing for me. I know I need to get a barrel nut and wrench. but my plan/idea is this:

Rainier Arms match grade upper.
    Noveske SPR 18" barrel.
    Troy 15" Alpha forearm system.
    Either a Smith Enterprises Vortex; or
    AAC SPR M4 black out (the long one).

I am considering the Vortex due to my LMT MRP has one perminatly attached and I am looking to get a suppressor to fit it, and might as well fit the SPR. However, will a muzzle brake, or the AAC suit the SPR better?

Does the 18" SPR's perform well with a rifle buffer tube, buffer and sprong?

Any possible mating difficulties I might have with a post ban lower (aside that it is a Mushmaster)?

Anything else I might want to consider for parts and what not? I am trying to keep it under $1,000, or even under $900. I was considering a Rainier 18" SPR match barrel, but they are out of stock at the moment.

Again, this is going to basically be for hunting, but will also be a fun gun to take out to the longer ranges and stretch the legs some.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Too bad you aren't closer because I have all the tools to do an upper. I even live close to Rainer Arms..lol. I don't see you having a problem swapping out the barrel with something better unless there are some local laws where you lIve that I don't know about that say you can't. Im actually in the process of UN-neutering a postban bushmaster that my brother bought back in the late 90's. I've used a rifle buffer and spring on an 18" midlentgth before without issues. Your upper probably doesn't have m4 feedramps so try to get a barrel that doesn't either but even if you can't it shouldn't make a difference.
    Last edited by Merle; 08-03-12 at 14:08.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah, this is going to be a total upper build. A4 upper with the barrel having M4 feed ramps. The current upper is a stock A2, so, no flat top, or feed ramps. Its the lower I am going to use and am hoping I will not have any problems with it.

Anyone have one of the new APEX forearm systems? they seem a little cheaper than the Troy, more of my speed, but not the length I am looking of (15").

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Mauser KAR98K; 08-04-12 at 00:38.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    I have put BCM uppers on two BM lowers and had no issues although I did replace both triggers with Geissele SSAs.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper