Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Consensus wanted on Sig, S&W 1911s

Feedback Score
    I have a Sig Scorpion 1911 and my experience has been great thus far. After range time last weekend I have put 1500 rounds through it with 0 malfunctions. I have used Remington UMC, Winchester, Fiocchi and Blazer ammo and have yet to find something that it wont eat. I bought the gun after shooting it and a MC Operator side by side, and after taking into account the accuracy, out-of-the-box features ( mag-well/front strap checkering/night sights), and price the Scorpion won out for me. This is not my first 1911, I have owned Kimber's, Springer's and even a Colt back in the day.
    "If I charge, Follow me. If I Retreat, Kill me. If I Die, Revenge Me."
    LEO
    USMC

Feedback Score
    I, too, own a Sig 1911, a Carry stainless model, that has been 100% reliable with cheap FMJ (Remington UMC, Privi, PMC Bronze) as well as HPs (Remington Golden Sabres and Speer God Dots). I also own two Colts, a Commander of recent manufacture and a XSE. IMO, the Sig is superior to both of them, for various reasons. It has certainly been more reliable.

If you can afford it, a semi-custom from Wilson, Baer or Ed Brown is obviously the way to go. But Sig is making a fine 1911 right now. I suggest you visit other sites as well, there the collective opinion of Sig 1911s seems to be very very favorable.

It seems to me the jury is still out on the Colt Rail Gun. I've talked to a couple of gunsmiths who have lamented a perceived downturn in Colt quality. I see it myself in my guns compared to several I've owned in years past. And even though the Colt Rail Gun was selected as the Marine's CQBP, several of them sustained safety-critical cracks in slides and frames, and a bent recoil spring that disabled the gun.
    Last edited by Rowland_P; 07-24-12 at 19:14.

Feedback Score
    My personal experience with the S&W 1911 has been great except some gun shops will not intall parts on a scandium frame. I wanted a different main spring housing with a mag funnel but the shop suggested to send the gun to S&W because they have had issues with the steel and scandium.
    Last edited by MILSHOOTER; 07-24-12 at 19:14. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    Going from Kimbers to Sigs - no. Just no.
    Don't worry, I'm not that misguided. My suspicions were that their 1911s suffer from so-so QC and manufacturing techniques their P-series weapons are now suffering from. I just wanted to confirm them before I scratched Sig off the list. I see a few people posted here with good things to say on the Sig and I don't have any doubt that's true, but when the other half have nothing good to say - that is not good. Just like Kimber, some people's never break, some people's have a massive FCG failure in the first week of ownership and need to be replaced (raises hand).

Sounds like the general consensus is that S&W is acceptable/good, Sigs are not and if possible go with something at least in the semi custom 1500 dollar price range if I have the funds - and I do. I'll go back into search mode and when I make a purchase and fire a thousand rounds I'll come back with an AAR on it. Thanks everyone.

Feedback Score
    No offense intended to this forum, but this is not really the website I would come to get objective opinions on anything made by Sig Sauer, if you are interested in mostly objective opinions. My recommendation would be to peruse SigForum, 1911Forum, and M1911. You will be exposed to a much larger sample of owners, critiques that are based less on bias and more on experience, and where the collective knowledge regarding the brand and platform seem much greater.
    Last edited by Rowland_P; 07-24-12 at 19:56.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    You can't be serious...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowland_P View Post
    No offense intended to this forum, but this is not really the website I would come to get objective opinions on anything made by Sig Sauer, if you are interested in mostly objective opinions. My recommendation would be to peruse SigForum, 1911Forum, and M1911. You will be exposed to a much larger sample of owners, critiques that are based less on bias and more on experience, and where the collective knowledge regarding the brand and platform seem much greater.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I picked up a TAC OPS TR from GB this spring, March production date, it's been great.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yes!!!! Go to the places where the lions share of members are NOT military of law enforcement, and get "unbiased" information from Sig fanboys about how awesome Sig is!!!
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    There's going to be bias on every forum, this one as well as the ones you mentioned are no different. Your thought process on recommending someone to go to SIGforums to hear an "objective" opinions on SIG guns makes me question your suggestion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was shopping the S&W E-Series and did some research and money comparisons; a.) S&W is slowly stepping away from supporting their LE Customers-that's no good for me. b.) There is a reported high rate of returns for CS with the S&W. c.) When you could find an E-series with rail it was always 200-300 more than the SIGs. d.) The TAC OPS comes stock with all the bells and whistles shipped for 899 on GB, with extra mags (5) and holster; low profile NS, magwell, low profile ambi-safety, decent grips, blah blah blah...I'm not a SIG fanboi, I'm a fan of undervalued high quality firearms. I'd love one of Yam's 10-8 Operators (SA) but they're more than twice the money.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast