Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: next rifle

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
    Thanks for all the insight.

I was hoping the high-end rifles were more status symbol than anything else. I guess I was wrong.
    I was leaning towards the mid-level brands on the advise of friends. They shoot a hell of a lot more than I, and they have not had any issues with Bushies, RRA, or J&T kits. But I also know none of them have had any kind of serious training, or put their rifles through hard use.

Actually, one friend has - he "worked" with the IDF, but carried an assortment of rifles, none of which was an AR. He has one now, but he still swears by the AK. Oh, well.

I would have no hesitation buying from Grant. I haven't tried any other vendor on this forum, but I have no complaints from his service. If I do go with something like a LMT, doesn't it need to be built? I can't just go to Cabella's and buy one.

Who does that? Would I be foolish to try and save some money by buying a complete LMT upper and putting it on a less expensive lower?

Do I need a "top-tier" lower, or can safely use a lower-end lower? Other than the trigger group, there doesn't seem to be that much to it (I know I just stuck my foot in my mouth).

moonshot

In my limited experience, I have found that in the firearms world, you USUALLY get what you pay for. Price and quality have a much higher correlation here than in other hobbies (for those of us who target,varmint, or otherwise "plink") or lifestyles (for those who rely on their weapons to save lives).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There is a significant tax on "manufacturing" a complete weapon... You can save quite a bit if you purchase a LMT complete lower, LMT complete upper, and a LMT bolt carrier group separately from the same vendor of your choicer all at the same time, then insert the bolt carrier group and attach the lower to the upper yourself... Then you have a 100% factory LMT sans the tax...

Just a FYI...
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    There is a significant tax on "manufacturing" a complete weapon... You can save quite a bit if you purchase a LMT complete lower, LMT complete upper, and a LMT bolt carrier group separately from the same vendor of your choicer all at the same time, then insert the bolt carrier group and attach the lower to the upper yourself... Then you have a 100% factory LMT sans the tax...

Just a FYI...
    +1

Top quality AR for about the price of that Bushy.

Feedback Score
    I have seen the error of my ways. I'll save a little longer and eventually I should be able to order the LMT from Grant. It will just take me a little longer to save up. As long as it's before the next election, I should be ok.

In the meantime, I have signed up for a carbine class this spring. !000 rounds through my Bushmaster. It won't be on a par with the high-end classes you all take, but for me, it should be a real eye opener.

As a side note, today at Cabella's I saw a Colt 6920 for $1499.

Should I put it on plastic, or wait for the LMT?

moonshot

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If the choice is between the Colt you saw at Cabela's or waiting for the LMT... I'd wait for the LMT. There are better prices on 6920's out there if you want to order a 6920 "now."

Feedback Score

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12