Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Cracked slide:
    My guess is springfield would probably warranty the slide!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Even the greatest war horse will stumble. Let us know what you decide.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Ned- Could you tell us what the spring weights used in this pistol were?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    16-17, he does not use 18 or above, and no Shok-Buffs.

So Springfield did replaced the slide, they treated him very well, in synch with their rep for doing so. I'll have more details and some pics as I will be looking it over today.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    16-17, he does not use 18 or above, and no Shok-Buffs.

So Springfield did replaced the slide, they treated him very well, in synch with their rep for doing so. I'll have more details and some pics as I will be looking it over today.
    Thanks for the reply! I take it he uses a 23 pound mainspring as well?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Whatever came in them..... all his 1911's have the factory springs in them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Most impressive. Can we assume that SA's entry level 1911 45 would hold up this well, or does the Operator have special aspects giving it such longevity?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've been told, and I believe, that not all models are made on the same line. Operators, Professionals, and I suppose TRP's and some others are made on a different line at a different location than the more "standard" offerings. This is not recent info but from what I see of what I understand to be recently-purchased guns, it still seems the case.

Rob's Op. and Professional are both well put together-- slide and frame rails are cut very square and straight with a lot of bearing area. Not like custom-fitted but just done right and as such not subject to the wear you would get when rails are wavy, rough, and heavily chamfered, reducing contact surfaces. I mean if they're only contacting here and there, those points are going to wear sooner.

Found a crack in the frame in a place I have not before seen cracked. Fortunately it matters little to not-at-all and I'm just going to mill it out:

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've been told, and I believe, that not all models are made on the same line. Operators, Professionals, and I suppose TRP's and some others are made on a different line at a different location than the more "standard" offerings. This is not recent info but from what I see of what I understand to be recently-purchased guns, it still seems the case.

Rob's Op. and Professional are both well put together-- slide and frame rails are cut very square and straight with a lot of bearing area. Not like custom-fitted but just done right and as such not subject to the wear you would get when rails are wavy, rough, and heavily chamfered, reducing contact surfaces. I mean if they're only contacting here and there, those points are going to wear sooner.

Found a crack in the frame in a place I have not before seen cracked. Fortunately it matters little to not-at-all and I'm just going to mill it out:

Thanks for continually updating this thread. I assume the metallurgy is the same between all SA guns which is why a lot of smiths like you use even the mil specs as base guns if just saving the frame and slide even though the mC OP trp etc are better fit factory guns.

That is an interesting crack. Wonder what SA would say about it. Think they would warranty it too? If they did I wonder if they would replace it with their 3/4 old style rail.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Dunno but we're not even gonna bother SA with it. Even if they warranteed it it'd be more trouble than it was worth plus we'd lose the frontstrap checkering...... I'd rather stick with the known quantity, aged though it be!

We were talking about ammo and he said, "have a look in my range bag". I went to pick it up and put it on the bench.

Ouch, my back!

I scolded him for having too many mags and randomly tossed in like that. But I guess when a guy shoots this much and is constantly traveling.... he promised to do better. It's not as bad as it looks-- Rob is a very good maintainer of his gear.... but most mags had a burr on the top left from the slide stop. This can lead to problems left unaddressed when volumes are high. I took care of this while we chatted but lost count of the mags, there must be a hundred though.

Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast