Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It surprises me to hear a Glock would be stopped short at 70K, but then, I'm thinking that the day Colt made this one, if they could have, they'd have said, "now don't go shooting this more than 30-40,000 times, it was never meant for that."

I happen to not have read anything on high round count Glocks but they surely are out there, at the very least at academies and such. I have no doubt that particular Glock could have gone tens of thousands more; it's natural that the mfgr would caution against it.

Feedback Score
    On a related note,I've been using shock buffs in 5 inch guns for over 30 years now, highest round count gun I had was a Colt Series 80 with over 100,000. I never experienced a crack of any kind in that gun- even the frame bridge. I know they're a little controversial, but I swear by keeping a fresh shock buff in a 5 inch gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    It surprises me to hear a Glock would be stopped short at 70K, but then, I'm thinking that the day Colt made this one, if they could have, they'd have said, "now don't go shooting this more than 30-40,000 times, it was never meant for that."

I happen to not have read anything on high round count Glocks but they surely are out there, at the very least at academies and such. I have no doubt that particular Glock could have gone tens of thousands more; it's natural that the mfgr would caution against it.
    Here's a link to the series. It's pretty detailed. The gun actually started out as a malfunctioning mess.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/...ts/gen4-friday

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5nine View Post
    On a related note,I've been using shock buffs in 5 inch guns for over 30 years now, highest round count gun I had was a Colt Series 80 with over 100,000. I never experienced a crack of any kind in that gun- even the frame bridge. I know they're a little controversial, but I swear by keeping a fresh shock buff in a 5 inch gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree, I put them in at the range and take them out when I leave. There's no downside.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    While I keep trying to hook up with Rob's Operator for a proper update and pics, let me throw in a little filler here. Colt Rail Gun, 6000 rounds. Discuss.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Well that is really disappointing. Did this have the dual recoil spring?

While I keep trying to hook up with Rob's Operator for a proper update and pics, let me throw in a little filler here. Colt Rail Gun, 6000 rounds. Discuss.

Feedback Score

Quality makes it a colt! I'm just kidding, I have one and would not want to see that in any of my guns... Colt, Baer, or otherwise.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    A-Id be interested in hearing more of the background story. What ammo, spring change intervals, etc....

B- I would be interested in knowing if this is in any way related to the Marine Corps decision to have the rail beefed up.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well the overall quality of this gun was very high. I don't think the barrel was flawed. There was one simple manufacturing step that didn't get done right / done enough. See in the frame how that bottoms of the barrel feet were impacting. A proper flat-bottomed relief is present but was not as deep as it should have been. Impact at that point is really a bad thing and that is what broke the barrel. Absent that I believe the gun would have been fine for many thousands more.

Ammo type, not sure but the issue ammo there is 230 Gold Dot.

Nothing to do with the rail.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Well the overall quality of this gun was very high. I don't think the barrel was flawed. There was one simple manufacturing step that didn't get done right / done enough. See in the frame how that bottoms of the barrel feet were impacting. A proper flat-bottomed relief is present but was not as deep as it should have been. Impact at that point is really a bad thing and that is what broke the barrel. Absent that I believe the gun would have been fine for many thousands more.

Ammo type, not sure but the issue ammo there is 230 Gold Dot.

Nothing to do with the rail.
    Thanks!

Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast