Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    I was wondering if this would pop up in this thread. The owner of that Colt is a close personal friend, I've shot that gun before. He's on the same Team that Rob and I used to be on. I must admit that I've been beating him MERCILESSLY over this thing because that's the kind of relationship he and I have.
    Background: the man is a serious shooter and VERY meticulous when it comes to maintenance. He's been running either an 18# or 18.5# spring for a couple years but I can't remember why (I think another local guy that you were teaching with this week told him to maybe?). Training ammo is whatever we can get, last year it was Winchester 230 gr ball and I'm pretty sure he's still working through our stash of that. This gun is open-carried on duty year round in the far west Chicago suburbs and on a part-time SWAT Team.

Only slightly off topic: He called Colt to ask about getting a new barrel. Was told their warranty ends after a year so he'd have to pay. He was none too happy but asked how long it would take anyway, the answer was at least 6 months. He took about another 15 seconds to tell them what he thought of their company and products and hung up.

Edit: I forgot to mention the guy is bleeping infatuated with FrogLube, uses it exclusively on the Colt and a couple other guns including a high end bolt gun. Ned: I would consider myself in your debt if you would tell him the stuff is trash and to stop using it when you get his slide back to him. Let him simmer for a couple days so I can beat on him some more then I'll show him this thread.
    Last edited by jhurt; 07-28-17 at 18:17.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I will definitely work with you on this and I think we can bring in a third conspirator to help, his father in law.... how about I "find" a warranty bulletin from Colt warning about the effect of any kind of mint derivative on stainless barrel steel?

Feedback Score
    That would be....glorious. As a matter of fact we were on the range last night (he's carrying a glock 21 while waiting on the colt) and he was grumbling about how the frog lube wasn't on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I will definitely work with you on this and I think we can bring in a third conspirator to help, his father in law.... how about I "find" a warranty bulletin from Colt warning about the effect of any kind of mint derivative on stainless barrel steel?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurt View Post
    That would be....glorious. As a matter of fact we were on the range last night (he's carrying a glock 21 while waiting on the colt) and he was grumbling about how the frog lube wasn't on it.
    You guys are awesome!
    NRA & GOA - Join the fight!

Feedback Score
    Ok I'll keep it brief since this isn't exactly about broken barrels but...the guy is now frantically searching the web for references to froglube on colts. He got notified you Ned and his father in law and I mentioned it to him. He's trying to argue that too much of the stuff is what causes problems and it's worked for him but if he needs to he's going to strip it off his pistol. He also tried to pass off a photo of a perfect pistol qual with his Ned-tuned gun as his own work but he's full of $&@%.

I'm going lay it on him for at least 2 more days.

ETA: he's not trying to pass off the Gunsmithing as his..he made a fake qual target and took a picture to try and crank me which (admittedly) worked very briefly.
    Last edited by jhurt; 08-07-17 at 05:31. Reason: Additional info

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Did you get the part where I suggested his father in law tell him that Tactical Gun Floss had dropped mint and now had only watermelon and pina colada?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Watching TV the other night I caught the pistol from this thread http://forum.ltwguns.com/viewtopic.p...40a87&start=30 in action and grabbed a quick screen shot.

IMG_1851.jpg

Looked like it ran pretty well.
    Sig Sauer LE Armorer
    Glock LE Armorer
    Colt AR15/M16 Armorer
    T.O.S.S. (Tactical Officer Survival School) inst. Tom Long
    Vicker's Tactical Pistol 1 & 2 Carbine 1 Advanced carbine Inst. Larry Vickers
    Intermediate pistol Inst. Ken Hackathorn
    Combat Speed Inst. Dave Harrington
    Performance Pistol Inst. Frank Proctor

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Good eye! That one just got laser welded on the rails and is getting a complete new top end.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Thanks. I was just sitting there and there it was.

I would have posted in the original thread but I never got accepted to that forum. You can tell him his pistol is unique enough it doesn't get missed.
    Sig Sauer LE Armorer
    Glock LE Armorer
    Colt AR15/M16 Armorer
    T.O.S.S. (Tactical Officer Survival School) inst. Tom Long
    Vicker's Tactical Pistol 1 & 2 Carbine 1 Advanced carbine Inst. Larry Vickers
    Intermediate pistol Inst. Ken Hackathorn
    Combat Speed Inst. Dave Harrington
    Performance Pistol Inst. Frank Proctor

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Stupid question on the Colt, but it that a 1 piece barrel or is the dookickie that holds the link welded on??

Not that it matters. For the $$ rail guns go for having a busted barrel after 6K is unacceptable.

Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast