Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ejr490 View Post
    I have a probably dumb question but with the 1911 do you want to run the heaviest or lightest spring that will allow reliability?

Ed
    My 2 cents

"Reliability" seems to have a very diverse definition when it comes to the 1911 platform. My definition of reliability falls directly in line with Hilton Yam and Larry Vickers- if a 1911 won't go 1000 rounds (with normal cleaning) without a malfunction it's NOT reliable- but that is just my opinion.

There are other viewpoints from the non working gun perspective that 50 rounds without malfunction is "reliable."

Reliability seems to me to be in the eye of the beholder.... But that's just my opinion!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5nine View Post
    My 2 cents

"Reliability" seems to have a very diverse definition when it comes to the 1911 platform. My definition of reliability falls directly in line with Hilton Yam and Larry Vickers- if a 1911 won't go 1000 rounds (with normal cleaning) without a malfunction it's NOT reliable- but that is just my opinion.

There are other viewpoints from the non working gun perspective that 50 rounds without malfunction is "reliable."

Reliability seems to me to be in the eye of the beholder.... But that's just my opinion!
    After re-reading my reply I realized I didn't even give my opinion on Ed's question! In my experience, heavier (18.5 Wolff) springs have proven the only "reliable" spring for a hard use gun. I've just started running 20lb flat-wire springs but don't have near enough rounds on them to have an opinion. I've tried to run 16 and 17lb springs but when the gun gets dirty/dry I have had fail to chamber malfunctions.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have a probably dumb question but with the 1911 do you want to run the heaviest or lightest spring that will allow reliability?

Ed
    If it’s built right it’ll run on just about any spring. I always ran 23/16 on 45s and never had reliability problems over about 80K between two 5” Springfield Customs.

Weak magazine springs are the culprit in many malfunctions that could be masked by heavier springs and/or shok-buffa.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Ed
    I started this thread in this forum

"What pound recoil spring do you run in your gun?" Its a great thread with great info from guys that know much more than myself.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I started this thread in this forum

"What pound recoil spring do you run in your gun?" Its a great thread with great info from guys that know much more than myself.

PB
    Here's the link: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...un+in+your+gun

Feedback Score
    I'm also a proud owner of a SA Operator...beside my HK p7m13, the TRP is the best handgun i have ever owned and handled. a very reliable gun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks guys I appreciate the reply’s I will certainly check out the other thread. Got some permits coming in soon and thinking of getting a 1911. Used to shoot them yeas ago but traded them for other guns.

Ed

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A few days ago the Operator came for a new plunger tube.... the factory one, which I re-staked a long time ago, finally broke off and it will get my Extra Stout Plunger Tube now.

I / we have not lost count exactly but I think we lost our place a year ago. But in the last year the count has been at least 11K rounds, so, at minimum, now at 140,000 rounds fired and the last 5000 have all been factory.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The Ruger 1911’s have integral plunger tubes I think that was a good idea, but then again how often do these fail?

Is the gun pretty much inoperable without the tube?

Ed

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The Ruger 1911’s have integral plunger tubes I think that was a good idea, but then again how often do these fail?

Is the gun pretty much inoperable without the tube?

Ed
    Both have pluses and minuses. The amount of poorly staked tubes out there makes one think integral tubes are superior. But if a tube gets damaged or dented it's a bit more work to repair as you'd have to mill it off and then install a conventional plunger tube. Without tension on the slide stop you run the risk of a single shot as it can lock open unexpectedly, or engage the safety.

Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast