Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Your appreciation is appreciated-- really.

I bet most guys are the same as me. It's kinda fun over the years as we go through cycles of enthusiasm for shooting in general, or a particular gun or caliber.

You feel the need, it's time, for another cycle to start, but you're not sure which way to channel the urge. "What new gun / system should I get to scratch this itch, what would be the coolest thing to explore?"

Then you realize, you already have it! You also realize that you have not fully explored it. You have not shot the crap out of it yet. You rediscover it and see that your previous, cursory relationship with it only scratched the surface. A lot of times when this happens, it's a 1911..... :-)
    Truth. I remember AC saying something similar a number of years ago.

I reluctantly admit that at this point in my life I am wore plum out with all the "tactical" mantra that the whole industry seems to be about these days and the constant push towards the the latest greatest. Coupled with the subsequent attitude that if you don't carry XYZ super duper blaster, somehow you are already behind the power curve and are going to lose regardless of skill level.

Quality 1911's are about the only thing keeping me interested in the gun world in general. Gun fatigue is real. And while I have Glocks and M&p's in the mix, they would probably be gone if the market wasn't so soft.

Threads like this are pure gold to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Do it!!! A Pro very well may be my next 1911.

I bought a MC operator a couple of years ago because of this thread, and while it will probably never be shot to the level this one has, it has been an absolute performer.

Thanks for continuing the updates Ned, it is appreciated.
    The same for my LB Operator. They know their way around the 1911. (all 25 yds freestyle)

LBO.jpg

Fathers Day 2018 LBO.jpg
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My Operator 10mm is going back to Sprg. for the second time . . . .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    The same for my LB Operator. They know their way around the 1911. (all 25 yds freestyle)

LBO.jpg

Fathers Day 2018 LBO.jpg
    Nice shooting.

LBO's are a lot of bang for the buck, and in my opinion look better than the MCO's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    My Operator 10mm is going back to Sprg. for the second time . . . .
    Bummer, had high hopes for these, (and still do) hopefully they get yours squared away proper like.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Not the Operator, but interesting.

Would this barrel have cracked if it hadn't been Mag-Na-Ported? Honestly I don't know where the cracks started but I would think at the back..... it's almost like the holes stopped the crack, as holes will tend to do. The case didn't blow! On the one side, the crack follows the rifling in the corner of a land/groove step.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is one interesting post, been following it for some time now, Thanks Ned !

Extra Stout Plunger Tube installed—four pegs instead of two.

Who mfgs. this ?
    Last edited by lowprone; 12-06-18 at 22:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Not the Operator, but interesting.

Would this barrel have cracked if it hadn't been Mag-Na-Ported? Honestly I don't know where the cracks started but I would think at the back..... it's almost like the holes stopped the crack, as holes will tend to do. The case didn't blow! On the one side, the crack follows the rifling in the corner of a land/groove step.

Wow! Interested to see/hear what the cause was.

@lowprone

The plunger tube is Ned's design. Look up "michiguns" I believe. Would like to have a couple of these for future use myself.
    Last edited by Norseman; 12-07-18 at 11:36. Reason: didn't want to double post.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks, yes, the ESPT is my product. Here's one being installed-

The staker itself seems to, but does not, clamp the plunger tube down tightly onto the frame—that needs to be done independently, hence the toolmaker’s clamp at the back. Once everything is perfect, I torque to 7 ft-pounds to get the riveting effect.

Feedback Score
    Awesome Ned! Thanks for showing.

Old school torque wrench is awesome by the way. Still have a couple my self.

Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast