Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Truth. I remember AC saying something similar a number of years ago.

I reluctantly admit that at this point in my life I am wore plum out with all the "tactical" mantra that the whole industry seems to be about these days and the constant push towards the the latest greatest. Coupled with the subsequent attitude that if you don't carry XYZ super duper blaster, somehow you are already behind the power curve and are going to lose regardless of skill level.

Quality 1911's are about the only thing keeping me interested in the gun world in general. Gun fatigue is real. And while I have Glocks and M&p's in the mix, they would probably be gone if the market wasn't so soft.

Threads like this are pure gold to me.

Well said I'm at about this same point myself.

Ed

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    My Operator 10mm is going back to Sprg. for the second time . . . .
    Uni, that sux dude but at least that company will make it good. I bought an XD when they first came out, I sent it back twice the second time they went out and bought my ammo that was problematic...did what they had to to make it good. Good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Thanks for all the work and documentation, Ned.

This thread makes me want to go order a Springfield Professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Id say go for it. Im a fanboy!

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Uni, that sux dude but at least that company will make it good. I bought an XD when they first came out, I sent it back twice the second time they went out and bought my ammo that was problematic...did what they had to to make it good. Good luck.

PB
    They already sent it back; said they couldn't find a problem with it. I'll probably end up getting a new barrel and trying to repair it myself.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I began my serious shooting career with instruction at Gunsite, followed on at Thunder Ranch. I carried a Les Baer TRS nearly every day for a decade. I love 5", steel frame, .45 caliber 1911's.

BUT, what I will say is that they are not for the average shooter. While this gun has held up very well- it has done so through the ministrations of one of the finest custom 1911 smiths alive today. Most "users" do not have that level of skill at their disposal to keep their guns up and running. They are very lucky these days if the local "gunplumber" can spell Nineteen Eleven.....They are better served as much as I hate to say it with "plug and play plastic parts" guns.......Where even a monkey can change out the broken part with a little help from a Youtube video and a pliers....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    I began my serious shooting career with instruction at Gunsite, followed on at Thunder Ranch. I carried a Les Baer TRS nearly every day for a decade. I love 5", steel frame, .45 caliber 1911's.

BUT, what I will say is that they are not for the average shooter. While this gun has held up very well- it has done so through the ministrations of one of the finest custom 1911 smiths alive today. Most "users" do not have that level of skill at their disposal to keep their guns up and running. They are very lucky these days if the local "gunplumber" can spell Nineteen Eleven.....They are better served as much as I hate to say it with "plug and play plastic parts" guns.......Where even a monkey can change out the broken part with a little help from a Youtube video and a pliers....
    If you start out with quality like Wilson, Guncrafter, Springfield Custom, Alchemy, they'll hold up and run right there with a plastic plug 'n play pistol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    If you start out with quality like Wilson, Guncrafter, Springfield Custom, Alchemy, they'll hold up and run right there with a plastic plug 'n play pistol.
    You miss my point. Yes, a 1911 will run a long time IF you have good one AND a 1911 smith working on it...but decent, knowledgeable 1911 Smith's, locally, are damn few and far between these days.

Take this very gun for example- the first barrel was replaced early- Why? Because very likely the gunsmith who did the work did not have Neds skill....as Very Few do...and honestly, fewer all the time.

Take the issue with the frame battering- where Ned did his special relief cut- How many "Smiths" at Bubbas Bait and Guns know how to do that or even what the issue is? But, you give them a plastic gun where the only real fix is to swap some parts vs. Actual craftsmanship based gunsmithing.....that they can do.

It has more to do with the ever increasing dearth of quality craftsman than an issue with the design. Our society does not support true craftsman in a broad local economy anymore. Oh sure you can SEND your pistol halfway across the country, wait 4 months etc...and still get good service...paying $50 overnite shipping both ways...but good luck walking into a local gun shop whose armorer holds a Glock Armorers cert. and think hes going to custom fit a new safety on your 1911.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You're still missing the point.

If you start out with quality, everything on it will last at least as long as the barrel and all you'll have to do is track mags and spring changes. Same as with any pistol.

If it takes a gunsmith to keep it running, it's a POS.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    You're still missing the point.

If you start out with quality, everything on it will last at least as long as the barrel and all you'll have to do is track mags and spring changes. Same as with any pistol.

If it takes a gunsmith to keep it running, it's a POS.

Ok, I'll play. Arguendo then, WHY WAS THIS GUNS BARREL REPLACED AT 6,000 ROUNDS?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Ok, I'll play. Arguendo then, WHY WAS THIS GUNS BARREL REPLACED AT 6,000 ROUNDS?
    Why do you come to this sub forum and this thread to lecture everyone on what is regurgitated all over the internet?

Current discussion aside - there’s literally countless 1911 vs everything else threads.

Both platforms have merits and issues. This discussion has also been played out a billion times.

I only jump in because I respect and follow Ned’s work and I don’t want to see the thread hijacked into yet another tired endless debate.

I mean this with all due respect.

God Bless,

Brandon

Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast