Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post

Ok bubba, enjoy your 'EDC' 1911 which you keep at home in a drawer, at least when your wife lets you play with it at all.

The point of the video was to show that 1911's can be just as reliable as modern pistols- sometimes even more so. The fact that it was country folk doing the backyard torture test just made things a little more interesting. Nothing wrong with a well tuned 1911 and every man should own at least a few along with acquiring the skills to do some basic work on them. It's the only standardized widely distributed US designed pistol on the market.

RR77

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    It's the only standardized widely distributed US designed pistol on the market.
    I find the term 'standardized' and the 1911 quite funny, as everything has to be 'honed', 'hand fit', etc, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I find the term 'standardized' and the 1911 quite funny, as everything has to be 'honed', 'hand fit', etc, etc.

There's levels of 1911 builds. They are getting closer to drop in components with modernization of manufacturing. However the reason I say standardized is because you can build a 1911 using parts from various manufacturers. I can order components from any number of distributors to keep my 1911's running. Simply, there are no other US designed pistols on the market today that have so many manufacturers making parts for it other than the 1911. We have three main standardized designs; the M1A, the AR15, and the 1911.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    There's levels of 1911 builds. They are getting closer to drop in components with modernization of manufacturing. However the reason I say standardized is because you can build a 1911 using parts from various manufacturers. I can order components from any number of distributors to keep my 1911's running. Simply, there are no other US designed pistols on the market today that have so many manufacturers making parts for it other than the 1911. We have three main standardized designs; the M1A, the AR15, and the 1911.
    Who gives a shit! That's not what this thread is about and let's not turn it into one of your AK threads.

I'm not a 1911 guy but I do have a general interest in them and this thread is by far one of the better ones....where things are documented and actual learning happens. So, please stop!
    Last edited by Arik; 05-05-19 at 11:55.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Who gives a shit! That's not what this thread is about and let's not turn it into one of your AK threads.

I'm not a 1911 guy but I do have a general interest in them and this thread is by far one of the better ones....where things are documented and actual learning happens. So, please stop!
    I am a 1911 guy, but all I have to say is AMEN.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    For some time I've had a mental list of things I'd like to do with a 1911 to try and explore some of the conventional wisdoms and myths and maybe have a little fun with it too. I'm going to call it "slightly destructive" testing.... it should be possible to salvage the gun after testing. Should be:-).

To this end I am looking for a quality, name-brand 1911 that is whole and mechanically sound, but of little value due to something like having been left under the seat of a convertible all summer and is all rusted up. Could also be one that had some bad gunsmithing done to it-- like let's say the dust cover drilled and tapped gone bad, sight installation went sideways, bad beavertail, whatever. I'm hoping to find such a gun for in the range of $200.

Anybody have that?

Feedback Score
    oops nevermind.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    For some time I've had a mental list of things I'd like to do with a 1911 to try and explore some of the conventional wisdoms and myths and maybe have a little fun with it too. I'm goint to call it "slightly destructive" testing.... it should be possible to salvage the gun after testing. Should be:-).

To this end I am looking for a quality, name-brand 1911 that is whole and mechanically sound, but of little value due to something like having been left under the seat of a convertible all summer and is all rusted up. Could also be one that had some bad gunsmithing done to it-- like let's say the dust cover drilled and tapped gone bad, sight installation went sideways, bad beavertail, whatever. I'm hoping to find such a gun for in the range of $200.

Anybody have that?
    Im down to check that out. I say start a gofundme page stopping at $500 to get this program started. Ill donate the first $50 for entertainment purposes.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ha, great idea but that's too high profile for me and brings obligations..... I'd rather just buy it.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Many of us read everything you put out. This would be no different. Don't have a gun to sell but will eagerly await your write up if you do one. Thanks!

Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast