Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post

The Operator has come back ... the original finally broke at somewhere over 150K.

https://i.imgur.com/MgJmPyA.jpg?2
    https://i.imgur.com/7pBFptp.jpg?2
    Man, nobody makes things to last any more.

I'd say the man's getting his money's worth out of this pistol.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Was it an ambi and are you a lefty?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If that question was directed at me...Yes, it was an ambi and no, I’m not a lefty. A quick phone call to Wilson and they sent me a replacement out the next day.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Was it an ambi and are you a lefty?
    Hmmmm, is the Wilson bulletproof ambi more prone to breakage if you're a lefty? Wondering if I should be checking that more often for signs of wear.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Hmmmm, is the Wilson bulletproof ambi more prone to breakage if you're a lefty? Wondering if I should be checking that more often for signs of wear.
    I would say the Wilson is as good as we can get.

Any ambi gets more strain at that point when used "lefty". When we put the safety up and down with the right thumb, the shaft is nothing but the pivot point. It gives no resistance to the movement-- so for the shaft to follow along with the body, practically zero stress. And on an ambi there is no detent on the opposite paddle to give resistance-- it also, just rides along. Using it lefty, with the detent being on the other side (activating safety with the left thumb on the right side of the gun, detent on the left side of the gun), now whatever effort it takes to move the detent out of the way has to be fed through the slot and blade joint and the spot where the shaft joins the body on the left side. Can't say I've seen it a hundred times but logic tells me that stresses things more. Anecdotally I do believe I've seen where ambis used by lefties do go loose at the joint a little sooner. Honestly when I first got into 1911s I wa sure that slot and blade arrangement would not hold up well at all. They do break once in a while and they can go a little loosey goosey but overall... even with full lefty use.... they generally hold up well.

The other thing breaking them is just the miniscule flexing that goes on every time the gun fires. Do it enough and something breaks.

Feedback Score
    How is the rest of everything holding up on this???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any updates?

Feedback Score
    Looking back through this thread and when updates usually occur, it seems like you should be seeing this operator soon for a checkup, Ned? I'm interested to see how this is holding up a half year-ish later since the last post. This thread has been a driving force to pick up my shooting volume on my 1911s. Already seeing some huge technique and skill improvements from it.

Feedback Score
    moar

moar

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Great thread.

Read the whole thing and I am glad I stumbled upon it.
    http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Shooter-Jack-rkba.gif

Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast