Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    So the old Colt in post 211 (and others) that got a whole new top end in November 2017, the ejector broke the other day. The gun has a pretty well documented 35000 rounds through it since the new slide and barrel. We think this ejector was its third; it broke at the front post. We don't recollect or have a record of what brand it was, but 35000 plus probably tens of thousands prior, no complaints.
    What is that Colt looking like nowadays? And curious how much mileage is on the frame altogether?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK84 View Post
    What is that Colt looking like nowadays? And curious how much mileage is on the frame altogether?
    I'll see about getting a few pics. This gun had easily 150000 rounds on it before the new top end.... easily. We think maybe well over 200000 and maybe up to 250 K but when you throw those numbers out without having actually counted them somehow, it strains credulity. 150K is amazing by itself but knowing the man, and the gun, for decades now, and seeing how going through 1000 rounds is a common, non-event, I myself do not doubt 250 K.

Feedback Score
    I'll see about getting a few pics. This gun had easily 150000 rounds on it before the new top end.... easily. We think maybe well over 200000 and maybe up to 250 K but when you throw those numbers out without having actually counted them somehow, it strains credulity. 150K is amazing by itself but knowing the man, and the gun, for decades now, and seeing how going through 1000 rounds is a common, non-event, I myself do not doubt 250 K.
    I don't know about anyone else, but when I saw photos of that gun pre-top end replacement years ago and some of the repairs and welds prior to that, etc., I would believe those numbers.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What a testament to a high quality gun and high quality gunsmith. Well done Ned.

PB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A few more pics of the Colt just came my way. So, some interesting things to look at after ~35K on the top end and at least 185K on the frame. Bear in mind that the original work on this was in I believe 1996. It’s not representative of my work in more recent years but there’s nothing on it I’m ashamed of…. there have been several repairs over the years and you can make out some of the crack welding on the frame, over the trigger guard where they regularly crack after high mileage, and over the slide stop window which I simply widened the gap….. no sense repairing that. Then from the window down, it was trying to crack its way to, probably, the mag release hole (I have an alloy frame that made it all the way on both sides).

The owner is very happy with the EGW extractor. Breech face certainly is showing all of 30-plus thousand rounds.

This gun will not be submitted in the ongoing Face innerwebsBook Tightest Grip Safety Fit Championship…. .

You can see where the frame was welded up prior to fitting it to the new slide. It seems like a lot of weld; partly because it’s a lot of weld, yep. This thing had a lot of clearance between frame and slide prior to the new top end. Also, as is often the case, the new slide’s rails had to be recut a bit to straighten them. There’s no sense doing the fitting work when the slide’s cuts are wavy, at different heights on each side, one running uphill and the other downhill and one’s tapered larger in front and the other smaller…… all of which is not uncommon. Usually not a lot but if you’re going for a good fit, it’s necessary. The good fit in my book is more about “good ‘cause it will last longer, having flat and broad bearing areas” and less about “good because it feels like it’s on bearings when you take it out of the safe once in a while and cycle the slide”.

The recently broken ejector was replaced I believe with one he had in the toolbox. Shaped a little different but it must be working. Firing pin stop has been dragging a little on the frame, we need to look at that!

I will add that, as I have said many times before, the feedramp needs to be of the right geometry. not mirror polished. I nice polish doesn't hurt but a lot of people seem to think shiny will make up for improperly machined.... it won't.

Feedback Score
    So, some interesting things to look at after ~35K on the top end and at least 185K on the frame. Bear in mind that the original work on this was in I believe 1996. It’s not representative of my work in more recent years
    Sorry, all I see is workmanship that has held up to some serious use while chewing its way through almost 200,000 rounds of .45 ACP. I'm afraid we're gonna judge you on that.

(Seriously though this thread is awesome. Absolutely love pics like this.)

Feedback Score
    What amazes me is that in 24 years of shooting, the driver of this gun just keeps using this and refuses to retire it-and Ned continues to work to resurrect it. I love it.

Ned: do you see any other 1911s from other individuals that have this kind of usage or are these the two most well-used and documented that come across your bench?
    Last edited by JohnK84; 05-15-20 at 23:06.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks. Yes, I was saying years ago this gun should just be retired but then it became kinda fun to see how far it could be pushed..... so I'm glad the owner wouldn't let go, it's been a good learning experience. I have a few other high milers that I see from time to time but there are three or four that I see several times a year and do inspections and maintenance on.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Someday Mr. Christiansen will be 96 years old, and that 1911 will have 650,000 rounds on it, and it will need a new thumb safety detent plunger . . . .

Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast