Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    Ned thanks and that is an excellent idea..... he is quite a character! He's now 84...up until he got Ecoli in 2016 he was benching 225 pounds and shooting a lot.... the Ecoli took a toll on him - he lost 45 pounds in 5 days and now has Diabetes and heart problems from the Ecoli.... he still works at the Winchester Range in Alton, IL.... will explore chronicling his stories - again great idea and thanks for sharing your extensive knowledge with us!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Just thought I would ask... any updates? I hope this 1911 hasn't been retired!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Retired, certainly not!

I have a few new pics of the old Colt mentioned above, waiting for some time with Rob to get updates on the Operator, will advise. The old Colt now has about 38000 rounds on its new top end. Total round count "way high".

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Retired, certainly not!

I have a few new pics of the old Colt mentioned above, waiting for some time with Rob to get updates on the Operator, will advise. The old Colt now has about 38000 rounds on its new top end. Total round count "way high".
    Ned,

This is probably my favorite M4C thread. Please never stop posting lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Retired, certainly not!

How is the Colt holding up? Anything specific to note?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    MOARRRRRRR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Favorite thread, always enjoyable to read more.

Feedback Score
    Some of the reasons I like checking in on this is not just because of the fact that I have a huge affinity for 1911s, but also because of the dedication to a specific platform and just continue using it for years without deviation. Between that Colt and the Springfield, I imagine that they are extensions of the shooters and are incredibly accurate. Just my $0.02.

Feedback Score
    Ned: So I have read this thread numerous times. And while i am on the edge of my seat for updates on the operator and colt, I have a question if you don't mind. The thing that has just kind of popped into my head recently is how you cut the VIS. My question is that after a certain amount of cutting and re-cutting of the VIS, will you have to add material or is it time to retire the frame? My guess is it is more hypothetical unless you have experienced it? I expect that we are talking about in the realm of 300,000+ thousand rounds given what you have experienced with that Colt still going strong.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK84 View Post
    Ned: So I have read this thread numerous times. And while i am on the edge of my seat for updates on the operator and colt, I have a question if you don't mind. The thing that has just kind of popped into my head recently is how you cut the VIS. My question is that after a certain amount of cutting and re-cutting of the VIS, will you have to add material or is it time to retire the frame? My guess is it is more hypothetical unless you have experienced it? I expect that we are talking about in the realm of 300,000+ thousand rounds given what you have experienced with that Colt still going strong.
    That's a really good question and I would expect at some point that something might need the attention of my laser welder guy. I'm not cutting it back mind you, it kinda moves on its own and then I have to re-do the clearance at the bottom so the legs aren't banging off down low. So far it has not been enough to make the link come tight when the barrel is pressed to the rear.... that's the issue to watch for. That tells us the barrels' rearward movement is being arrested by the link and not the VIS.... you probably knew that and hence the question.

Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast