Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Ned,

What’s your take on spring weights for full-size and commander 45s and longevity?

I’ve heard some smiths say that you must use a full 23lb mainspring (16lb recoil). Others say it’s ok to go to a lighter mainspring. Curious if you have an opinion on mainspring weight and longevity considering the mainspring plays such and important role in arresting/slowing initial slide movement.

Thanks Ned, always educational when you post!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm not a fan of heavier recoils springs. My pref is a standard 16-pound recoil spring and 23 pound mainspring. On Commanders I have pretty much also always used the factory-standard recoils spring (22 pounds I think....?) and 23 on the mainspring..... until recent years where I've been using flat wire springs on Commanders but.... I've done only a few Commanders in the last 5-7 years.

Generic comments on spring weights: recoils springs, I want the gun to not short-cycle even if the shooter has a weak, imperfect grasp on the gun. Mainsprings, I want the gun to go off every time, which is why I never, ever use something like the 19 pound mainspring on a carry gun. For competition guns, anything goes and it's a great place to experiment. My compensated .50 GI bowling pin gun runs a 16 pound recoil spring where standard on .50 GI is 22 I believe. The weight of the comp necessitates the lighter spring. I don't even know what mainspring is in it, it's whatever came with which I'm guessing is a 23. I have a compensated competition-only 9 that has a 12 pound recoil spring and probably a 19 pound mainspring-- it seems awfully weak but it does seem to run (this is the gun shown on my site in 360 view).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Operator update! Rob was over the other day and.... nothing to report really. It has another 4000 rounds on it since last time I saw it, he says it will see a lot more use this coming year. Nothing has really changed in those 4000 rounds other than, the crack at the rails, left side top of mag chute, may have got a little bit longer. I did take a pic, will post later for comparison. Other than that-- nothing to report. Not sure what total round count that 4000 makes. Maybe pushing 160? No time just now to go back through posts to attempt a count.

He also brought the Commander introduced in post # 95, his all-day-every-day carry gun. Mechanically it's holding up well but a rust problem continues. I will send it out for somebody's bake-on finish soon. Darned shame as it was beautiful with its very expensive DLC-over-hard-chrome.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Operator update! Rob was over the other day and.... nothing to report really. It has another 4000 rounds on it since last time I saw it, he says it will see a lot more use this coming year. Nothing has really changed in those 4000 rounds other than, the crack at the rails, left side top of mag chute, may have got a little bit longer. I did take a pic, will post later for comparison. Other than that-- nothing to report. Not sure what total round count that 4000 makes. Maybe pushing 160? No time just now to go back through posts to attempt a count.

He also brought the Commander introduced in post # 95, his all-day-every-day carry gun. Mechanically it's holding up well but a rust problem continues. I will send it out for somebody's bake-on finish soon. Darned shame as it was beautiful with its very expensive DLC-over-hard-chrome.
    Looking forward to seeing the comparison photo!

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post

Always great to get an update.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This crack is slowing down; I don't think the gun has seen the range as much as usual in the last couple years. This is 4-8000 rounds on top of the last report (checking for a hard number):

Feedback Score
    Has this gun been seeing a lot more use as was expected Ned?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Geez I had Rob over here just the other day and neglected to discuss it..... let me work on that.

Feedback Score
    I find posts like this intriguing. Similar to the ones about a 1997 Ford/chevy/whatever with 300,000+ miles and only changed the oil and tires. 88,000 rds through a 1911 with no malfunctions?
    I am at a loss for words. Every 1911 I've owned, be it Colt, Nighthawk, Wilson, Springfield, or Dan Wesson always experienced an 'issue' of sorts. What was I doing wrong and what are you doing right ?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well.... at no point did I say no malfunctions. I have to think there have been some but we never talk about it. I know these guys have a low tolerance for guns that don't work so I'm sure if there were regular issues, I'd have heard about it.

Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast