Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First AR - M&P or Bargin Bin?

Feedback Score

My First AR - M&P or Bargin Bin?

I am in the process of researching for my first AR purchase. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices -

1. M&P15 -- can get the m&p15a for $870 to my FFL. $100 rebate from S&W makes total cost $770.

2. This link

Which gets me a rifle with no front sights for $585 to my FFL. The reviews on these have been good, but would have to spend for sight/scope.

Both would give me a good starting platform, I want to add thing slowly and learn the AR platform along the way.

So please, give advice .. I just can not decide.

Thanks,

Bigdog

Feedback Score
    Let me add -- I know most of you will recommend spending and buying one of the best for my 1st -- however, I can afford to purchase my first as a learning rifle and buy a higher quality rifle after I am familiar enough with the M4's to actually know what I want ... right now I have no idea, reading and studying up on it only adds confusion. So I want to spend as little as possible, while spending enough to get quality in case I decide to resell (or keep).

Feedback Score
    Personally, I think I would buy the CMMG. I have heard nothing but good things.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by longtalltechsan View Post
    Personally, I think I would buy the CMMG. I have heard nothing but good things.
    You should clean your ears out then!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Yeah, the SW have such a great reputation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm thinking about picking up one of those Bargain Bin ARs as my second AR. But my first was a Colt 6920. THe bargin big AR after inspection and satisfactory shooting may get a few minor upgrades (light, inexpensive scope/dot sight) and become a trunck gun.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by longtalltechsan View Post
    Yeah, the SW have such a great reputation.
    I don't know about that. But a little reading around this site will give the guy an idea of what to expect from CMMG/DPMS. They aren't Olympic Arms bad, but they have some criticisms.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I can see where this is going .. thanks for the replies anyway.

Heck, I may as well wait a few months and save up for a Colt I guess ....

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    With luck, you should be able to get a nice little check from Uncle Sam to stimulate the economy around June. That'd go good toward a quality rifle. Save a little longer and get something that will not let you down. You know the old saying about buying cheap.........

Feedback Score
    What about the S&W makes it of lower quality? I've been reading around the net and the only thing I have found is the gas block staking problem, which will be fixed before the gun is shipped. Everything else I have read leads me to believe it is of good quality.

Hasn't S&W always put out a quality product? or have they dropped out of the ranks of the top makers?

How much of the negative towards S&W is political? I know they did something, way back in the 80's and many gun enthusiasts boycott them because of something they did, or didn't do ... That seems like ancient history to me, I wasn't into guns at the time and really have no idea what it is all about. I do know S&W USED to be known for quality products.

Someone enlighten me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast