Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen a M-4 with A2 upper?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by coldblue View Post
    This is one of several XM-4's we tested at Quantico (USMC) in the late 1980 to replace the .45 Cal. M3 "Grease Guns."
    In fact "M4" was our nomenclature not Colt's. The M4 being sequential to the M3 submachine gun. That is also what drove the 14.5" barrel because we wanted the ability to mount the bayonet.
    The M4 was intended to be a full-auto repalcement in RECON for the M3 A1 sub-machine gun. This basic configuration proved so popular that the 14.5" carbine took on a life of its own.
    Our M4 submachine gun program was well supported by the RECON commmunity, but as the requirement was staffed through out the USMC, too many strap-hangers jumped onto the fielding plan and the program grew to a size that required Congressional review. It was subsequently deleted from our budget three years in a row.
    Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware M4 came from the M3 Submachine gun- I thought it was to follow the M3 Carbine
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    I had a Colt M4 A2 complete upper years ago, it was marked C AF with a 14.5" M4 barrel, M4 stamped above gas tube, grey color and no F marked FSB. Purchased new and I can't recall from what company and was told that it was a factory assembled upper never issued, and it looked to be. I wish I had a pic.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That isn't the proof I am looking for. I already know about those.
    So then why not write directly to Colt, or submit a Freedom of Information request to the Army?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I had a Colt M4 A2 complete upper years ago, it was marked C AF with a 14.5" M4 barrel, M4 stamped above gas tube, grey color and no F marked FSB. Purchased new and I can't recall from what company and was told that it was a factory assembled upper never issued, and it looked to be. I wish I had a pic.

That is from a run of 727s from 1996 to 1998.
    Last edited by scottryan; 12-23-12 at 14:43.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware M4 came from the M3 Submachine gun- I thought it was to follow the M3 Carbine
    The Marine Corps M4 program got ahead of Army efforts because we went with A2 uppers that were already in our supply system; while the Army was trying to develop/standardize on the flat-top effort.
    Then our cold weather testing led to the requirement for the Ramp Angle Change to improve reliability which inadvertently made the ramped M4 upper not compatible with the rifle barrels in the system.
    Then the three years of trying to get them in the budget (which all failed as I discussed above) allowed the Army effort to catch up and overpower the whole thing.
    I remember Master Gunnery Seargeant Nicoliasion being in charge of the Marine M4 Manuals as they were pretty much completed. I'd like to find one of those...
    As when he submitted it to HQ, they (the bean counters)discovered the "Throw Away the white glooves" page which originated in the A2 Rifle Manual I wrote in 1983. They left that page "blank" in subsequent editions.
    ColdBlue sends...
    (CB is David A. Lutz, Lt. Col. USMC (Ret'd) (1968-1991)
    Former (now retired) VP MilOps @ Knight's Armament Company (KAC) (1994-2012)
    "...if you can read this, thank a Teacher,
    if you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran..."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    That is from a run of 727s from 1996 to 1998.
    Thanks, and if I recall correctly the barrel was dated 96 but not sure of the month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Horned Toad View Post
    Finally found the one old photo I have. Its crappy, it’s a scan of a pic that was taken with the old disposable Kodak cameras. If it wasn’t for point and shoot digitals I would be taking any pictures today.

Colt
    It was either marked as an AR-15 or a Car 15
    802xxxx
    Metal collapsible stock
    Full auto
    Had the M203 notch on the barrel.

These were around for quite awhile, RRD, FOs, Officers medics and IIRC some commo guys had them.
    I can’t remember the brand of the suppressor but it was nice
    Aimpoint 3000 on an ARMS mount.

That appears to be an Ops Inc suppressor, they were in use during the 90s. I mostly saw them on Colt 733s that were issued with a Hensoldt Beta Lighted scope or an Aimpoint.
    Last edited by joe scuba; 02-16-13 at 17:10.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=coldblue;1478979]

I was issued a carbine with that same XM4 roll mark in 1993. The receivers were gray. It had single heat shield hand guards. I had the same weapon until late 1999. My unit also had a few Colt commercial 727 that were C.O.T. purchases.
    Last edited by joe scuba; 02-23-13 at 17:11.

Feedback Score

???

I've seen a few a2 carbines but those were few and far between

Feedback Score
    I bought a Colt 14.5" M4 upper off a guy over at AR15.com a year or two ago. It is an A2. It is a much lighter gray than most ARs you see. The forge mark on the upper is MB (Mueller Brass.) I was pretty sure it was an older military M4 upper. It has all the Colt marks in the correct spots, and the barrel is dated '93. It is in storage at the moment. I was going to pin a Phantom on it, and use it. Is this thing worth something as some sort of curiosity to sell, or should I just use it?
    Last edited by squid8286; 05-30-13 at 11:32.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast