Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen a M-4 with A2 upper?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by squid8286 View Post
    I bought a Colt 14.5" M4 upper off a guy over at AR15.com a year or two ago. It is an A2. It is a much lighter gray than most ARs you see. The forge mark is Mueller Brass. I was pretty sure it was an older military M4 upper. It has all the Colt marks in the correct spots, and the barrel is dated '93. It is in storage at the moment. I was going to pin a Phantom on it, and use it. Is this thing worth something as some sort of curiosity, or should I just use it?
    Sounds like a 727, we're just trying to find actually M4's with fixed carrying handles, which are basically a 727 but marked "M4"
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    Sounds like a 727, we're just trying to find actually M4's with fixed carrying handles, which are basically a 727 but marked "M4"
    Thanks for the info. Y'all had my hopes up; thought I had something rare!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by squid8286 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Y'all had my hopes up; thought I had something rare!
    Oh it's still rare, and collectible- I'm sure someone will chime in on it's value eventually...
    PRAISE THE FALLEN

Feedback Score
    Oh it's still rare, and collectible- I'm sure someone will chime in on it's value eventually...
    Good to know. I appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's a removable carrying handle- not what we're talking about at all
    Then someone ought to tell the fella running his EO on the carry handle that <pssst!> its removeable.
    AMERICAN INFIDEL

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The pics coldblue posted are the closest we have seen, but were already known to me.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    All of this raises the question....Who gets to decide what is an "M4"? The US Military, Colt, or folks like us? I'm sure the XM4 in TBR was not an "XM4" until Uncle got interested in it. FWIW, I have a Colt A2 upper with ramps cut in before anodizing, and marked with a "4" above the gas tube entry star. Finish is black, not gray/green or Sandstrom 9. Does this prove anything? No, but I'm sure that my upper, which showed up on a 6520LE, is not the only one around.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
    All of this raises the question....Who gets to decide what is an "M4"? The US Military, Colt, or folks like us? I'm sure the XM4 in TBR was not an "XM4" until Uncle got interested in it. FWIW, I have a Colt A2 upper with ramps cut in before anodizing, and marked with a "4" above the gas tube entry star. Finish is black, not gray/green or Sandstrom 9. Does this prove anything? No, but I'm sure that my upper, which showed up on a 6520LE, is not the only one around.
    Folks like us can no more decide to designate whatever we want as an M4 than we could designate a Garand an XM-1936-08 or whatever. Or we could, but it would be absolutely meaningless.

I spent a fair amount of time in Afghanistan from 2004-2011, and I think I saw every configuration of the AR platform ever issued. Slab side lowers/partial fence lowers and any 11.5 or 14.5 barrel configuration you can think of, flat top, A1, and A2. Every single one of these was in the hands of U.S. Government personnel.

Break free from the bonds of the M4 label!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I finally checked out the new Infantry Museum at Benning. They no longer have M4 SN # 0001 on display (with the fixed carry handle and a high gloss finish), but they did have this XM4.

PRAISE THE FALLEN

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jtb0311 View Post
    I spent a fair amount of time in Afghanistan from 2004-2011, and I think I saw every configuration of the AR platform ever issued. Slab side lowers/partial fence lowers and any 11.5 or 14.5 barrel configuration you can think of, flat top, A1, and A2. Every single one of these was in the hands of U.S. Government personnel.

Break free from the bonds of the M4 label!
    THANK YOU! The designation fixation crap is completely idiotic.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast