Thread: Need some A2 Iron Sight help.....

Feedback Score

Last edited by Ian02; 07-30-12 at 13:47.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It depends.

I use 100 yards for my 20 inch barrels, and 50 for my carbines with A2 sights.

I shoot prone, and walk down after each 5 round group. It'd be nice to have a spotting scope, but I really don't like hauling any more stuff out to the range than I have to.

Just focus on the tip of that front sight post. Ideally with the sun to your back. Sun at your side or coming at you is less than ideal. Man! I shot sub 2MOA groups at 100 with a carbine sight radius last time I was zeroing due to the sun at my back. The sight post was perfectly clear.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Last edited by Ian02; 07-30-12 at 13:47.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yep that's my process... I'm a simple zeroer!

I'd start at Mechanical zero. Mechanical zero is where your front sight post base is flush with the Front sight housing. Center your windage adjustments so the markings are dead center and work from their.

I zero with my rear elevation at 6/3 or 8/3 and never move it from that position. Elevation adjusments are made with the Front sight post (ideally those are minimal adjustments), and windage adjustments are obviously made with the rear knob.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Last edited by Ian02; 07-30-12 at 13:48.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Another good tip is having a good zeroing target.

I use a grid system with MOA squares. I made my own using MS Excel. The target is an 8/12X11 sheet of paper with 1 inch squares on it. The middle 16 squares are all black. These black ones give me an aiming point.

And of course with MOA size squares, adjustments are simple to convert to clicks. On the 20 inch AR, one click = 1 MOA adjustment, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian02 View Post
    Do you happen to go by the same screenname on TOS?
    I was markm on TOS. My network admin gave me his "demigod" account to use as a back up for when I'd get locked. So since markm was taken here, I just went with demigod.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by Ian02; 07-30-12 at 13:48.