Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Reality Check: Sage M14 at 1000m

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sorry OP for having to deal with idiots, and thank you for your service.... I never take anything that gun store commandos say seriously.

Getting back on topic of the M14…. I agree that the modern 7.62x51 platforms (Larue OBR, KAC offerings, etc.) are MUCH better for size, weight, training (soldiers already being familiar with AR style rifles) etc. But I have had nothing but great results with 2 of my LRB arms M25 rifles (18.5" barrels). Now these are not “1960s rack grade” rifles: LRB arms forged receiver, integrated picatinny rail, medium contour barrel, Sage stock…. But neither have been bedded or match grade tuned.

I have one is a Sage Mod 1 stock, and one in a regular GI fiberglass stock, and both shoot sub MOA with match ammo (gold medal match 168 grain). I average 0.59-0.89 inch, five shot groups with both rifles. If I had to do it all over again I would go with a Larue OBR or similar rifle to make training with my other ARs more consistent, but I have way too many USGI magazines and other support parts stocked up for the M14 to make switching worthwhile. Not to mention shooting the M14 is just more fun to shoot than shooting my ARs (personal opinion of course).

I wouldn’t want to go to war with an M14 when other choices like the OBR are now available; as my Sage EBR setup is heavy. (close to 14 pounds with bipod and scope).

Again, my LRBs are not “rack grade” horror stories like many of you have experienced, but decent M14s are definitely capable to reaching out to 1,000 yards.
    Last edited by domestique; 12-14-12 at 04:57. Reason: Added details
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    You can pretty much dismiss anything said by someone wearing a drop leg holster inside a store.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut284 View Post
    You can pretty much dismiss anything said by someone wearing a drop leg holster inside a store.
    My one LGS, has a guy that wears a 5.11 vest, with amber shooting glasses, 10" hiking boots with shorts, and his 1911 Kimber in a shoulder holster.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post

My one LGS, has a guy that wears a 5.11 vest, with amber shooting glasses, 10" hiking boots with shorts, and his 1911 Kimber in a shoulder holster.
    When this man gives you life advice. Kindly ignore it.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    I have been shooting M-14s and M1As for 30+ years and I never saw one that would come within the same zip code of shooting that well at 1000 yards. Over the years I have heard enough BS on both sides of the counter at gun shops to fertilize the entire state of Nebraska.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 12-15-12 at 20:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Alright I have to say first that the sage platform is an ergonomic trainwreck, not balanced, and a nightmare to maintain with the minimal tools I had to borrow and steal. I was never 100 percent confident in my zero after bouncing around in the back of an mrap or vibrating in a shinook. That being said, I was always pleasently suprised with accuracy and have made shots passed 1000m with mine. Also 5 shot groups that were sub minute. Hard to believe i know but i can barely believe it my self...this rifle was later ruined by a hungry maxpro door thanks to my driver...i was given a replacement and could never do better than 1.5-2 moa...i am now convinced that although a terrible, heavy platform, it is luck of the draw and it is actually capable although not likely to get decent accuracy. I guess you just have to get that random one that didnt have a garbage barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I NEVER listen to salesmen as on a whole, they usually have zero real world knowledge. I guess they feel that since they were given the "High n Mighty" position of salesperson that it makes them "know it all's".

LRB makes nice receiver's. That being said, I'll take n OBR over ANY M-14, whether rack grade, in a Sage, Crazy Horse of whatever. I'm sure the fella's who have an affinity for M-14/M1A's will enjoy shooting them but they really are just an M1 Garand with a box magazine. Thats not taking anything away from the design because back in its heyday, it was a top notch weapon. That was then and this is now. I'd much rather have, like I have previously stated, an OBR. I'd really like to check out a SCAR 17 SSR as well. Some platform's stand up to the test of time better than other's.

It's funny that many of the fella's who have an attachment to the M-14's are the older gentlemen who perhaps carried/trained with one. I'm 41 Former Marine Grunt and I'm an AR guy all the way. My Father is a 70 yrs old, Navy vet/20 yr NYPD vet and he loves the M-14. To each his own I guess.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456