Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24.5 gr. TAC and Hornady 55 gr. FMJ Question

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

24.5 gr. TAC and Hornady 55 gr. FMJ Question

Have you found this to be reasonably accurate out to 200 yards or is it simply an efficient load for training inside 50 yards?
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It's a really good load combo out to at least 300 (where I've shot it against iron maidens with an ACOG).

It flows well in a Dillon measure and meters well. I've shot about 3000 of them.

Feedback Score
    I worked up from there to 25.5 and got marginally better accuracy, with better chronographed velocity, at 25.5 grains with a 55 grain NBT. I wouldn't go below 24.5 in a 5.56, personally (to ensure optimum function.)
    Last edited by Paul.Reck; 07-30-12 at 23:58.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    Have you found this to be reasonably accurate out to 200 yards or is it simply an efficient load for training inside 50 yards?
    I find it to be reasonably accurate out of my guns with a 1-4 scope out to 200. Of course it depends on your definition of accuracy. I practice shooting at clays on the 200 yard line which is 4 and 5/16 inches diameter and can make 4-5 shots. With my 6 inch steel hanger, I can hit it at 300 pretty much the same.
    I have found Montana Gold bullets to actually be more accurate for my loads as opposed to Hornady.

Feedback Score
    reasonably accurate out to 200 yards?
    Yes, but they won't make a poor shooter into a match rifle, of course. Acceptable accuracy (mostly ~2.5 MOA) in a couple of chrome lined 1x7 barrels to 300 meters or so, noticeably better in a 18" SS SPR barrel.

In my experience (with just one batch of MT Golds), the Hornadys shot a little better. Compared to my 77 gr loads, I see less POI shift with the Hornadys vs the M.Golds.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    Just want to chime in with my own results. YMMV.

100 yard group with 24.5 grains TAC, pushing a 55 gr. bullet. Was using 2.5x magnification over Aimpoint from the prone. This type of group was fairly consistent with the other 24.5 batchs I had made.

100 yard group pushing up the load to 26.6 grains of TAC, same 55 gr bullet (M193). A little better. Using 2.5x magnification over Aimpoint. From the prone.

Targets are bulls I pulled off the back of a VTAC target. Each grid is about one inch.

I would use the 24.5 load for close up presentation drills, but don't like it for anything beyond that.

If you're pushing a 62 grain bullet, you might get better results with 24.5 grains.

(My reference zero was factory LC M193.)

Here are the primers in the first 26.6 gr. batch I whipped up.

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong with the 24.5 load ...

Notes on equipment:
    cases: LC of various years
    cases tumbled in stainless media with primers removed
    redding carbide resizing die in a rock chucker (dillon case lube, which was removed with another 15 min tumble in stainless media)
    redding seating die in a harrell precision turret press (1 light press followed by case rotation, 1 light press followed by another rotation, then final full press).
    hornady 55 gr fmj right out of the green box (did not sort for weight or concentricity).
    cci #41 primer inserted with rcbs auo primer tool
    ramshot tac 24.5 / 26.6 grains, each charge was hand checked using dillon scale
    COAL 2.25 inches
    not crimped (now i am using the dillon .223 taper crimp die).
    Case length 1.755 inches, trimmed to spec with a Giraud
    Last edited by 30 cal slut; 08-12-12 at 18:10.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post
    Just want to chime in with my own results. YMMV.
    That's good. You've found a 55 grain load that your barrel likes. Stick with it.

Often times there's a mild and a hot load of the same powder that a barrel will like.... with the harmonics of the barrel being bad on loads in between.

That hotter load is VERY good for a 55 gr FMJ.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 Cal -

It might not make much difference, but with the (possibly hotter) NATO primer I would drop the charge down a few tenths to about 24.2 -24.3 TAC. I also like a shorter COL of about 2.222" with the Hornady 55s. Might be worth trying a small batch.

I would expect your hotter load is pushing the pressure limits - the pic seems to indicate ejector marks on some of the case heads.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

hmmm. thanks, will give it a shot.

i will double check the pressure situation with the 26.6 ... i have shot an e-mail to Ramshot inquiring about that just to be safe. i showed the primers to some of my buddies on the range, they didn't seem to be overly concerned. IIRC, I seem to remember a recipe for M193 that Ramshot noted that had a charge of TAC above 26.6 grains.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Talking

Received an e-mail from Scott Z. at Western Powders/Ramshot.

He indicated that the Max Load for a 55 grain FMJ is 27.5 grains of TAC with a COL of 2.200".

Oh happy day.
    Last edited by 30 cal slut; 08-14-12 at 11:36.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast