Thread: Trick for getting flip lens cover on Aimpoint?

Feedback Score

Trick for getting flip lens cover on Aimpoint?

I got the rear one on no problem but the front one won't go on to save my life.

Do you need to heat up the plastic with a hair dryer or something to make it pliable enough to get on the front?

This is for an Aimpoint 9000SC.

Feedback Score
    Well I tried a hair dryer per a recommendation on ar15.com and it popped right on!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newguru View Post
    I got the rear one on no problem but the front one won't go on to save my life.

Do you need to heat up the plastic with a hair dryer or something to make it pliable enough to get on the front?

This is for an Aimpoint 9000SC.
    Thay are a P.I.T.A. aren't they?

The new Aimpoint flip caps (especially the front) are much tighter than the old ones but don't necessarily need to be heated to install. They are not easy to get on, but once on they're on. They are also much improved over the old ones.

The best technique I've seen so far was invented by Brian, Aimpoint's VP. Get your pointer and middle finger inside the cap where the hinge is. Catch just a bit of the cap on the tube of the sight and stretch the cap onto the tube with your two fingers. If you try to just press the whole thing on at once it won't fit. Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Before trying the hairdryer, It seemed I was actually damaging the inside of the front cap since I was pushing on it so hard. A few minutes of warming up with a hairdryer and the cap finally slipped on. It was still damn tight but it went.
    Team Virginia Arms member
    USPSA Limited B and Production C shooter, IDPA SSP-SS

formerly known as TacticalShooter