Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: clueless

Feedback Score

clueless

Strange dilemma, Some how my bosses think that because I take pistol and carbine classes that I must know how to shoot a shot gun.
    I was asked by Boss 2 if I wanted to go to a private hunting ranch in for a Sporting Clay, trap skeet competition. I respectfully declined stating I know NOTHING about shotguns or sporting clays etc.
    His Boss #1 jumps in NO your going as part of the company team. Me But I know NOTHING about this shit! Him "Well you shoot guns don't you!" Your going ! Me "well okay".
    So they're going to supply the shotguns and all the ammo. Should I ,20 gauge 12gauge overunder/sideby side/pump/ or auto. I'm 5'7" 125 lbs.
    I'm going to be milling around with guys that probably make over 200thou a year so I really don't want to be a total clueless idiot.

Feedback Score
    In that situation I would expect to see a lot of over/unders. Just remember, with a shotgun, to focus on the target, not the sight/bead. I'm not much of a shotgunner myself either, but that has been successful for me. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    From my experience with shotguns, if you're not very familiar with them a simple pump is much easier to get used to than an over under.

ETA: I'm 5'5'' 145lbs and have no problem with a 12 gauge. Know how to shoulder a shotgun and use a propper stance and a 12 gauge will be easy to shoot.
    Last edited by VaeVictis; 08-01-12 at 23:54.

Feedback Score
    I would suggest a 20g over/under, you are a smaller guy and the 12g field guns are big for me (and I have a few inches and pounds on you). Remember you are just looking down the rib, not sighting, and remember to keep the gun moving. Don't stop when you pull the trigger, keep following through with the shot.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I'm off to the local range to practice this weekend. I'll try a couple of different shotguns. leaning towards a 20 gauge of some type.

I'm guessing this is more of a smooze fest so my big boss can make connections and line up another large project,( think golf but with shotguns) than a serious competition.

More I read the waiver and other paperwork It sounds like fun(More if I knew what I was doing, LOL)

Even if I screw this up, Get Breakfast , lunch, Dinner, and happy hour cocktails after the fact

Hopefully, I won't get fired If we score badly!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Trust me, shotguns, and shooting clays is lots of fun. A lot more fun than static range stuff.

12 gauge will be easier because of more lead in the air, but I prefer 20 gauge. The ammo is the same price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas42 View Post
    The ammo is the same price.
    Not an issue cause I ain't paying for any of it!

I think we get driven around in custom off road golf carts!

I was also told during an actual pheasant hunting event they have veterinarians on standby for the dogs if they over heat etc.

I think I'm in way over my head and in the wrong social class......

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    In that situation I would expect to see a lot of over/unders. Just remember, with a shotgun, to focus on the target, not the sight/bead. I'm not much of a shotgunner myself either, but that has been successful for me. Good luck.
    This and make sure to keep your head down. A good cheekweld and eye on the bird and you will be good to go. You will quickly learn to keep the gun moving as well. I don't shoot clays much, but I tend to do better the less I think about it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Eek. The invitation you've received is a dream come true for so many people and you're worried about being 'outclassed' because they make too much money?

If you know how to shoot safely, you're going to do fine. Quit whining and enjoy yourself.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Research some basic principles on wingshooting and you'll probably beat a lot of them. Lead and follow through are important.

Personally, I really like autos in 20ga. If it's a gas gun like a Beretta or Remington, they shoot soft and feel right. After the auto, I'd pick O/U.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast