Thread: Atlantic "Cold War" AKs

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Atlantic "Cold War" AKs

Anybody have any experience with or info on these yet?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1126.aspx
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1068.aspx

They say they are Saiga conversions and they are a touch cheaper than the similarly configured Arsenal SGL's for example. Anybody know who's doing the builds for Atlantic and how the quality is?
    Last edited by Icculus; 08-02-12 at 15:04.
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Feedback Score
    Never held one so not speaking for quality. Looks like they modified the gas block instead of replacing it. Drilled out the dimples in the FSB & GB. Pressed off Saiga FSB. Pressed off the GB. Welded a bayo/cleaning rod lug on the bottom of the Saiga GB. pressed it back on, refinished...

The FSB looks Romanian.

They would have had to weld up the channels in the barrel for the pins of the Saiga FSB. Then ream new holes for the pins of the Romanian FSB. Pins are on the top of the barrel as opposed to the bottom with the Saiga/Rusky/Bulgy.

The Saiga FCG extra two holes are still there. They put some kind of plugs in them. Instead of welding them up and refinishing.

Another big thing is the mag catch and trigger guard. They left the original mag catch and use a common cheap route to mount a trigger guard as a second piece. Standard AK trigger guard is part of the mag catch. That's a big time saver. A lot less work to go that route. Parts aren't that much more expensive.

As long as all those procedures are done in a quality fashion then it's a fine setup. Basic conversion.

SGL's have brand new FSB's and GB's. And the extra holes filled up and refinished. That would account for at least some of the price difference.

I prefer the M14x1lh threads...

Edit----

The second one has the original Saiga GB. They also used a screw on lower HG retainer. A lot less work... Just has wood. Why in the world is that more expensive?

For the second one its $759. A IZ-132 is $429. Both not shipped.
    So $330 in parts & labor. A Romanian FSB, Slant brake, cleaning rod, unknown wooden furniture, unknown FCG, bullet guide, and a gas tube. Maybe $150 in parts. So is $180 worth the questionable labor?
    Last edited by jamesavery22; 08-02-12 at 17:41.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wow, good eyes and thanks for all the insight. I'm definitely a newbie in the AK world although its pulling me in fast after I picked up my first SGL21. When I looked at the picture initially the only real difference I spotted was that it had a 14x slant break instead of a 24x 74 style break like on the SGL. What I didn't really know was the difference in work as to how they got that way. I never would have noticed the mag release difference and I didn't notice the plugs in the old Saiga trigger holes but now that you point them out they stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm just exploring all my options for my second AK purchase. First because two is one and one is none but also because within a short period of time I've become very intrigued by all the different options and details of ak's of different countries. Unfortunately I A) missed the boat on cheap options and plentiful affordable parts kits and B) I still feel like an infant crawling before trying to walk when it comes to picking out differences between the different types.

Thanks again for insight
    Last edited by Icculus; 08-03-12 at 13:35.
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Feedback Score
    My pleasure.
    If you already have an SGL any Saiga does make sense as a second AK.

I learned a lot about AK's with my first Saiga conversion. IZ-132's are probably the last readily available cheap AK option. On top of that the main guts of the rifle are all straight from Izhmash. Only vepr's will top that quality.
    If you can change the brake pads in your car you can convert a Saiga. Since you already have a working rifle get a IZ-132 and take your time with the conversion. $300 in parts will easily get you there.

Of course there are plenty who don't take joy in doing that stuff. Rifle Dynamics basic Saiga conversion is $400. Would be a tad more expensive but you'd get a hell of a lot better quality work and know the parts are all gtg.