Thread: What's in your bag?

Feedback Score

What's in your bag?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what those of you that have either a BOB, day pack or whatever you may carry with you might keep in it.

This is for bags that you keep with you 24/7, as close as possible to your person.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Its been covered numerous times in other threads but the basics are always the same,

Food
    Water
    Water purification
    First Aid
    Navigation
    Fire starting
    Shelter tarp
    Rope
    Medications
    Spare Socks
    Rain gear
    Light

And so on, but the pack has to be light enough to allow you to move quickly but cover all the basics of survival.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    The threads I've seen are more geared towards bags left at the house that you would grab if the situation arose.

Is that what you keep with you at all times? That has to be a heavy bag.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer15 View Post
    The threads I've seen are more geared to wards bags left at the house that you would grab if the situation arose.

Not at all and the last time I weighed the pack it was 14 pounds total and the weight will shrink as you consume the food and water stores during the walk or ride to your location.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 10-21-12 at 10:39.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    Hey guys, I was just wondering what those of you that have either a BOB, day pack or whatever you may carry with you might keep in it.

This is for bags that you keep with you 24/7, as close as possible to your person.
    I bought a Maxpedition Larkspur to carry files, folders, paperwork, etc. back and forth to the office. The main section is perfect for that, but right outside the main section are two large pockets. For size reference, you can fit 3x 500ml water bottles in one pocket, but I keep a 500ml Nalgene with a Frontier Straw inside, and a medium general purpose pouch with the following inside: fire starting kit (altoids tin with fire tabs, fire striker, lighter, matches, and a small swiss army knife), a small first aid kit, a small trauma kit (quick clot, gauze, more gauze, triangle bandage, etc.), an emergency poncho, 50' of paracord, and a 4" saw from Tops. I also have an AA maglite with lithium batteries (spare bulb in the tailcap, and batteries that won't pop or leak) in one of the long, thin exterior pockets.

This has worked very very well to keep basic but necessary gear nearby while also being able to carry more mundane things back and forth. The big flap covers the pockets and makes the bag look no more militant than most other yuppy messenger bags.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The threads I've seen are more geared towards bags left at the house that you would grab if the situation arose.

Terms to keep an eye out for:

BOB - BugOut Bag. This would generally be the bag left at home

GHB - Get Home Bag. Generally left in the car, or maybe at work

EDC - What you would 'keep with you at all times'

Different people will have different types and quantities of 'stuff' based on what they figure to use the bag for, available funds, etc.

I think a GHB is probably the most practical and likely-useful for most people. Few people are truly willing/able to carry a bag with them all the time, and bugging out is usually a last resort, and is hopefully done by vehicle and not on foot.

Things I may have in a GHB, or in my car with the GHB, include:

Seasonally appropriate clothing. A full change of clothes + hats, jackets, etc, as necessary.

Water, water filter

Food. Minimal, not nearly as necessary as a lot of other things, hard to keep good in a vehicle with those huge temperature swings. Emergency Ration bars/lifeboat rations work well enough here, IMO.

Navigation. Maps, compass, etc.

Spare magazine(s)

Knife/multi tool

Basic first aid

Boots/shoes

Spare flashlight/batteries