Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Defense Strategy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    274 (99%)

Discussion: Defense Strategy

In another thread we started to discuss defense strategy. I think it might be a good topic. Let's keep it generic as we can for security plans. Work in the abstract such as ideas and strategies.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One idea I always liked was having mags randomly placed throughout my house. The reason being that I do not want to put all of my supply in one area and in the event osomething happening not be able to get to that supply. Hope this was the kind of idea you were looking for...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Rule number one: don't attract attention.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Rule Number #2,

Have your gear set-up and ready to go at a moments notice.

What good is 1K in ammo if its all in boxes and your magazines are empty.

At a minimum your ready vest should be fully stocked and with the rifle. If possible ready pistols should be located safely in rooms you spend the most time in and are used to get to your rifle or repel a immediate threat.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-03-12 at 19:47.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Rule Number #2,

Have your gear set-up and ready to go at a moments notice.
    Reminiscent of Rogers' Ranger standing orders:

2. Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute's warning.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Border Rat that returned to Indian Territory.
    Feedback Score

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Reminiscent of Rogers' Ranger standing orders:

Or Standing Order #15 - Don’t sleep beyond dawn. Dawn’s when the French and Indians attack.

= simply put be awake and alert early in the morning, and be on the look out for an impending early morning assault when most people would still be asleep
    Last edited by arbninftry; 08-03-12 at 21:35.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think owning the nighttime via NVDs would be among the top 5 force multipliers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Doc, seems to me that most here are already ahead of the curve regarding a defense set up. Most people whom prepare don't have much of a military or Leo back ground.

They generally won't have the tools most of us here have. Simple stuff like range stakes, clearing fields of fire, basic tangle wire non patterns, random spider holes, high ground dominance, and knowing their AO like the back of their hands are going to be basic but critical.

Clint Smith says you need to own a 400 yard zone around your hide. In a urban neighborhood that's tough to do without some help.

Nods are critical, as are plates and helmets. The ability to build simple IEDs could be critical as well.

I live in a neighborhood of stick built houses. Defending these. Fire is perhaps our most concerning issue. Difficult to defend and fight fires at the same time.

We think about this defense stuff often, we have plans yet virtually each plan is flawed in some way based on the dynamics of physical set up specific to our neighborhood design.

DW

Feedback Score
    I have to ask the question...

Defense from what, exactly? The question is somewhat broad. Defense from other people/scavengers is good, but if you're the target of any group with heavy metal, good luck.

The best thing to do is completely disappear. Can't attack whats not there.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyRT View Post
    I have to ask the question...

Defense from what, exactly? The question is somewhat broad. Defense from other people/scavengers is good, but if you're the target of any group with heavy metal, good luck.

The best thing to do is completely disappear. Can't attack whats not there.
    So hiding is your defense. That is what I was thinking. Just an area to bring up points and counter points about post SHTF defense ideas.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast