Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Defense Strategy

Feedback Score
    Here's an article from Survivalblog.com from a few weeks back that I read and thought was very thought provoking enough to bookmark, actually copy and pasted into word and saved and into my "survival files" for future reference. I agree with, and have always agreed with his conclusion.

An Overview of Neighborhood Defensive Strategies for Worst Case Situations, by Johnny N.
    http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/07/...-johnny-n.html
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 08-04-12 at 13:15.
    Live paranoia trumps dead bravado, every time.

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

The 'shoot, shovel, and STFU' principle applies here too.

If your set with most of the above a good sound suppressor would be one hell of a force multiplier.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think owning the nighttime via NVDs would be among the top 5 force multipliers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Doc, seems to me that most here are already ahead of the curve regarding a defense set up. Most people whom prepare don't have much of a military or Leo back ground.

They generally won't have the tools most of us here have. Simple stuff like range stakes, clearing fields of fire, basic tangle wire non patterns, random spider holes, high ground dominance, and knowing their AO like the back of their hands are going to be basic but critical.

Clint Smith says you need to own a 400 yard zone around your hide. In a urban neighborhood that's tough to do without some help.

Nods are critical, as are plates and helmets. The ability to build simple IEDs could be critical as well.

I live in a neighborhood of stick built houses. Defending these. Fire is perhaps our most concerning issue. Difficult to defend and fight fires at the same time.

We think about this defense stuff often, we have plans yet virtually each plan is flawed in some way based on the dynamics of physical set up specific to our neighborhood design.

DW

Feedback Score
    I have to ask the question...

Defense from what, exactly? The question is somewhat broad. Defense from other people/scavengers is good, but if you're the target of any group with heavy metal, good luck.

The best thing to do is completely disappear. Can't attack whats not there.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyRT View Post

Defense from what, exactly? The question is somewhat broad. Defense from other people/scavengers is good, but if you're the target of any group with heavy metal, good luck.

So hiding is your defense. That is what I was thinking. Just an area to bring up points and counter points about post SHTF defense ideas.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I need some clarity on your response so I can understand it.

"you're the target of any group with heavy metal, good luck. The best thing to do is completely disappear. Can't attack whats not there."

What / Whom are you referring to specifically ?

TIA

Feedback Score

It has been estimated that approx. only 3 million people in this country are considered "Preppers". That is only 1% of the population roughly.

When I answered the question, my reference point is to a economic collapse or EMP attack type disaster etc. that literally turns things upside down. When 99% have no preps for a large scale emergency, that's a wide and vast pool of hungry, unprepared, scared, desperate people to defend against, that are NOT just going to lie down and quietly and peacefully starve to death! The list of gangs, groups and individuals is endless.

I agree with your assesment that the best option is to avoid the chaos as much as is possible.
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 08-05-12 at 15:27.
    Live paranoia trumps dead bravado, every time.

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

Feedback Score
    I don't mean any specific group, but I'm making reference to armored vehicles. Sure you can take out one or two, but then your position is ruined and it's time to move on or face more people who know you are there. If nobody knows you even exist, they won't be looking for you.
    Last edited by LeroyRT; 08-05-12 at 15:24.
    Guitars, cadillacs, and hillbilly music

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I don't mean any specific group, but I'm making reference to armored vehicles. Sure you can take out one or two, but then your position is ruined and it's time to move on or face more people who know you are there. If nobody knows you even exist, they won't be looking for you.
    OK, so I'll play along since your not going to be specific.

Who would have armored vehicles you speak of because I can only speculate ?

Cause I'm still wondering how your going to hide your location w/ Surveillance Drones ?

Of course avoidence is best.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast