Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Defense Strategy

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)

Discussion: Defense Strategy

In another thread we started to discuss defense strategy. I think it might be a good topic. Let's keep it generic as we can for security plans. Work in the abstract such as ideas and strategies.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One idea I always liked was having mags randomly placed throughout my house. The reason being that I do not want to put all of my supply in one area and in the event osomething happening not be able to get to that supply. Hope this was the kind of idea you were looking for...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Rule number one: don't attract attention.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Rule Number #2,

Have your gear set-up and ready to go at a moments notice.

What good is 1K in ammo if its all in boxes and your magazines are empty.

At a minimum your ready vest should be fully stocked and with the rifle. If possible ready pistols should be located safely in rooms you spend the most time in and are used to get to your rifle or repel a immediate threat.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-03-12 at 19:47.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Rule Number #2,

Have your gear set-up and ready to go at a moments notice.
    Reminiscent of Rogers' Ranger standing orders:

2. Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute's warning.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Border Rat that returned to Indian Territory.
    Feedback Score

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Reminiscent of Rogers' Ranger standing orders:

Or Standing Order #15 - Don’t sleep beyond dawn. Dawn’s when the French and Indians attack.

= simply put be awake and alert early in the morning, and be on the look out for an impending early morning assault when most people would still be asleep
    Last edited by arbninftry; 08-03-12 at 21:35.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What follows are random thoughts regarding S/P, not only "defense".

Have layers of security, especially at home. Common examples for typical urban/suburban single family homes or related situations...outdoor lighting, solar outdoor lighting, passive defensive landscaping (pointy and painful stuff by windows...nothing that hides people by your doors or windows, etc), dogs, big dogs, locked doors and windows, reinforced doors and windows (even just better locks/screws/hardware, doorclubs, etc), alarmed doors/windows, locally monitored alarm, neighbors who know your phone number/know you and are more than welcome to call you with suspicious activity...and of course proficiently armed residents.

Have layers at all times, don't just wait for an advance notice of a widespread (or even regional/local) SHTF to enact them (although you may have some more serious measures on standby for this). Your own personal SHTF could happen any time, any place.

Discuss plans, actions, reactions, strategies, etc with those around you, even if you leave the minutiae to yourself. If something big happens and people freak out, cell towers are overwhelmed, services are interrupted, etc, and your wife/kids/whoever are at work or school and you are somewhere else...no communication...what would you each do? Do you know? Do they know?

Have you practiced using all of your 'stuff'? Or does it just work in theory? Have you practiced using it in a realistic scenario? Hiking/backpacking guys will know...your tent, bag, mat, etc are a whole helluva lot easier to setup and break down in your living room than they are out on the trail, in the rain. Just an example.

Are you relying on anybody else for critical areas of your defensive plan? Are these people COMPLETELY trustworthy? Not even beyond a reasonable doubt, but beyond any doubt, regardless of circumstance. How reliable are they? What are the chances they will be out of town? On the other side of town, stuck? Out of state? Physically unable to perform the required task? You get the idea.

Are YOU physically prepared? We've all seen more than our fair share of the overweight, out of shape, 'armchair commando'. Guess what, even if you aren't an armchair commando if you are in poor physical condition...you need to do everything in your power to fix that. "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe. Cardio/Endurance is critical too.
    Last edited by Warp; 08-03-12 at 23:52.

Feedback Score
    In no particular order...

Avoid stupid places, stupid people, and doing stupid things.
    Have a med plan.
    Be physically fit.
    Have an exit.
    If you see trouble brewing, leave.
    Report suspicious activity.
    Don't involve yourself in stranger's problems.
    Be armed.

If all else fails be alert, decisive, aggressive, cool, and ruthless. Take advantage of speed and surprise. (bonus points if you can name my source for those)

Feedback Score
    -If you're fortunate to have a bug-out location, get out early. If bugging in, harden you house as best you can now.

-Security window film. Prevents buglaries when not home, helps prevent home invasions when you are home, and prevents foreign matter entering ie humans, bricks, molatov cocktails, gas canisters. Give's you time to neutralize threats. I believe one of the best investments you can make.

-Door bars that can be installed in minutes when the time arrives. Kicking in in-swing doors is #1 entry point for home invasions. Out-swing doors are better. They make inexpensive bars for each type.

-Sandbags

-Body armor

I don't believe that most of us are fortunate to have many like-minded friends to formulate elaborate defensive tactics or to take shifts watching guard. It would take many many men just to adequately guard a small neighborhood around the clock in shifts.
    If things got really dicey, I mean "tits up" situation where lawsuits are your last concern, trip wire's (fishing line, mouse trap, shotgun shell blanks) and tanglefoot wire and other booby traps are your friend in this situation to wake and alert you of a threat, traps & your hardening of your house will slow them down. Your body armor and/or sandbags strategically placed are your best friend.

Best is to get out early if you can and only if you have a place to go to! Avoidance.
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 08-04-12 at 13:21.
    Live paranoia trumps dead bravado, every time.

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Know your local potential adversaries. Begin to develop an intelligence "portfolio".

Who are they?
    Where do they live? (Google Earth print-outs are your friend here)
    Who are their friends/partners?
    Who are their family members?
    What do they drive?
    Past offenses?
    What is thier level of being armed?
    What would be thier paths of travel to one another's homes?
    Where are they located in proximity to my possible paths of future travel?

For example, I live in a rural area but right next to a "little" town. You know the type, where you are driving down the road with a home/trailer/ranch every mile or so then you come upon a group of 5-10 homes/trailers. This "town" is very old with run down homes and old trailers. Economically depressed is the norm. There is a pretty good turn-over of residents in the trailers. There is also a local group of buddies (8-10), and their families (numbering 20+), who have know each other since they were kids. Most will have less than 1 week of food. The jokingly refer to themselves as the "---- mafia". Men in age from late 20s to mid 40s. Numerous run ins with the law (local LE are good about getting background), heavy drinkers/drug users, sks/shotgun/bolt/pistols owned by most. Some are nice guys on the surface, others ignore me. I'm friendly with some but keep to myself - as that's not my scene.

I'd be stupid to not evaluate the above questions. In a bad situation these are my most immediate and serious threats.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast