Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Defense Strategy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IYAAYASwarrior View Post
    Thanks. Let's say that (insert scenario here) occurs. The National Guard is called in to team with local Law Enforcement. They are tasked to remove and document each and every firearm in every house, leaving honest folks with nothing to defend themselves with. Knowing that some will deny having any or having them hidden somewhere else that they can access them readily. How would you handle this? Lie about what you have? The task force probably wont be around much longer than it takes to sweep the town. How do you handle something like this?
    My state passed legislation preventing confiscation of arms, even during declaration of emergency (such as during Katrina). However, as I think you're getting at, I'd bet we'd be dealing with a declaration of martial law during a SHTF event.

Your question is a good one to definitely resolve in advance. For the majority, the threat of being taken away from thier family and long-term imprisonment, or worse, will be very effective.
    Last edited by cinco; 08-15-12 at 09:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I read a book in which a man describes conversations about prepping he has overheard between upstanding good people ....a few were LEO and military and others were acquaintances he considered fine people. He was a little disheartened to hear them say things like "I don't need to prep by buying tons of food, I have lots of guns and ammo, I can get food with that"

These are basically upstanding people, they are not criminals or evil...however they equate the suspension of "rule of law" with the suspension of right and wrong, good and evil. They probably, like many of us, simply would do whatever it takes to keep their family alive.

My point is not that we must guard against this type of person but instead we must guard against becoming this type of person. Look at yourself and be sure that you do not let "evil" get its nose under your tent in the name of "protecting your family". Shooting an unarmed person because they might have ill intentions is a dangerous path to take your soul down.

Do not become what you are trying to prepare against.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I understand where you are coming from when you say this; you are LOE and you deal with this kind of stupid stuff all of the time. You are also in a different part of the US then I am. I lived near there a long time ago and things are different where I live.

Where I live if this were to happen right now, I would be in 100% compliance with the law if I shot and killed everyone, trespassing with weapons. Remember that you cannot take prisoners, that is a federal offence, kidnapping. That is where those people like Ranch Rescue got in trouble. What I will do is search the bodies for anything that can ID them and take all of their weapons. I figure if anyone asks after the fact I will give them all of the guns that they attacked me with………If they were looking for food for their kids why did they need guns????? Use liberal logic against them.

I have said this in several posts. I do not stop and think about POSSIABLE legal ramifications if and when shit is going down. Especially if I am in a SHTF situation. Even if it is a short term one. That makes me just a bit faster than all of you that do consider it…….remember that.
    Yup. I'm discussing it calmly now, but when ˇOlé! the mob is coming up the hill, the decision has already been made. Worrying about shit like that in a fight is a great way to get killed. I haven't heard of many prosecutions for all the shit that went down in New Orleans, and there was a LOT of shit going down.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pete57 View Post
    I read a book in which a man describes conversations about prepping he has overheard between upstanding good people ....a few were LEO and military and others were acquaintances he considered fine people. He was a little disheartened to hear them say things like "I don't need to prep by buying tons of food, I have lots of guns and ammo, I can get food with that"

These are basically upstanding people, they are not criminals or evil...however they equate the suspension of "rule of law" with the suspension of right and wrong, good and evil. They probably, like many of us, simply would do whatever it takes to keep their family alive.

My point is not that we must guard against this type of person but instead we must guard against becoming this type of person. Look at yourself and be sure that you do not let "evil" get its nose under your tent in the name of "protecting your family". Shooting an unarmed person because they might have ill intentions is a dangerous path to take your soul down.

Do not become what you are trying to prepare against.
    I had an acquaintance tell me that not too long ago. I said, "So you plan on looting?" He said, "I guess that's one thing you could call it." I told him, "You know people like me know there are a LOT of people like you out there, and we're quite ready to deal with you?"

<insert bluff and bluster here>

Joe Sixpack with his rusty old 870 that gets fired once every couple of years at a deer doesn't worry me much. He's going to be hungry, stupid, and ineffective. The people who worry me are all the gang members that are veterans. You want to face 15 MS13s who each spent a year in Iraq kicking doors in?

This is something we don't like to talk about, but we damn sure better talk about it. Yes, most of the people who will try to take your shit will be Joe Sixpacks who you can sweep aside like checkers off a board...but there are a shit-ton of combat veterans out there after 11 years of war, and not all of them are good people or on your side.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cinco View Post
    Good comment.

What are peoples' opinions on including photographs? I see in a non-EMP event, a digital camera might be best as you could safely store the data card for later retrievel. Even buy a couple of cheapy disposal 35mm film cameras.

What I would be worried about is how those photos may be interpreted. For instance, I've seen guys mentioning use of ranging sticks/small flags on thier property. If one of those shows up in a photo, it might look very bad depending upon the authority's "attitude".

Perhaps some LEO guys might have insight into what "big picture/envirionment/crime scene" angles to incorporate? Certainly crime scene investigators have some procedural methods to best document a scene?
    No on-the-job experience yet, but they taught us to take one from a couple different angles from far away, then document everything and take pictures as you get closer. You can never over-photograph something, to be honest... I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell me I'm wrong because one of those extra pictures will be what brings you down or gets you thrown in jail. Don't tromp through the scene, don't move anything unless you absolutely have to, and I'd take photographs from your position and theirs when you shot them, if you could.

Personally, I'd rather have too much documentation than too little. Just be smart about it. This shouldn't need to be said, but a picture of you dressed in full gear with a rifle teabagging or peeing on the guy you just shot for trying to steal your Rice-a-Roni will not be the best decision you ever made.
    Last edited by Six Feet Under; 08-15-12 at 10:21.
    “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.” - William James

"I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Six Feet Under View Post
    No on-the-job experience yet, but they taught us to take one from a couple different angles from far away, then document everything and take pictures as you get closer. You can never over-photograph something, to be honest... I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell me I'm wrong because one of those extra pictures will be what brings you down or gets you thrown in jail. Don't tromp through the scene, don't move anything unless you absolutely have to, and I'd take photographs from your position and theirs when you shot them, if you could.

Personally, I'd rather have too much documentation than too little. Just be smart about it. This shouldn't need to be said, but a picture of you dressed in full gear with a rifle teabagging or peeing on the guy you just shot for trying to steal your Rice-a-Roni will not be the best decision you ever made.

Stolen!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I'm not advocating or condoning illegal activities here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Woulnd't be a bad idea to keep some pawn shop shot guns and revolvers on hand as throw downs should the need arise.
    Just saying . . .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Six Feet Under View Post
    This shouldn't need to be said, but a picture of you dressed in full gear with a rifle teabagging or peeing on the guy you just shot for trying to steal your Rice-a-Roni will not be the best decision you ever made.
    HA! Friggin PRICELESS! LMAO
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 08-15-12 at 11:16.
    Live paranoia trumps dead bravado, every time.

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Somebody has played a bit of COD, it seems.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Somebody has played a bit of COD, it seems.
    ....?

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast